What came with the pearl

minnbuckeye

My brother-inlaw recently purchased a pearl necklace for his wife in Holland, Michigan. Included with the purchase was this "fossil" oyster. Any thoughts on whether it is a fossil or as to a more definitive ID if it is. He has been bitten by the fossil bug with this. Very surprising for this individual!

Links are asking me to sign in to Google to view them. :unsure: :(

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

From my view, I see the images. I am assuming you can't? What do I do to correct this. It is my first post since the change in format.

I also can't see the images that are hosted on Google. Try putting all the images on your computer then using the edit button on your first post to add the photos from your computer.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

See if these come thru. Sorry about picture quality. I have to work with what I was given.

DSC_0474.JPG

DSC_0473.JPG

DSC_0471.JPG

Hi there minnbuckeye!

I can now see your pictures, and I think you may have a large saltwater clam (Tridacna sp.).  As for whether or not it's a fossil - I don't know.  It looks like a fossil - is it really heavy, like rock?  This particular genus still exists today - I saw a bunch off the beach on Lizard Island in Australia - they're beautiful!

Monica

Edited by Monica
  • I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Hi there minnbuckeye!

I can now see your pictures, and I think you may have a large saltwater clam (Tridacna sp.).  As for whether or not it's a fossil - I don't know.  It looks like a fossil - is it really heavy, like rock?  This particular genus still exists today - I saw a bunch off the beach on Lizard Island in Australia - they're beautiful!

Monica

I also thought about that kind of clam. In french it is called a "bénitier" that means font, because they were used as fonts in churchs.

• I found this Informative 3

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Looks like a Tridacna, to me also. I agree with Monica. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/67883-what-is-this-oyster/

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

This is a true oyster. I'm guessing it is from Peru, there used to be quite a few on the market being labelled as coming from the Miocene of Peru. The hinge are is wrong for Tridacna- see image below.

Here is a Peruvian oyster from this web site- http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/mineralmuseum/picshow.php?id=42839

peruoyster.jpg

tridacna.PNG

• I found this Informative 4

There are lot of red flags for the oysters on the market being labelled as coming from the Miocene of Peru. Misspelled names of locality (Casamarca, Casamarea), geological age

(Miocene,Jurassic).
The fossils of Cajamarca region of Peru look to be from Cretaceous. The Cajamarca beds and the Cajamarca Formation are Turonian in age. More details in Journal of South American Earth Sciences 19 (2005) 325–342 Cretaceous bivalves from Ecuador and northern Peru - Annie V. Dhondta, Etienne Jaillard.pdf
The specimen posted by Al Dente looks close to Nicaisolopha nicaisei, for example - Plate 2, Figs. 3,4,5 of the document.

Cretaceous bivalves from Ecuador and northern Peru - Annie V. Dhondta, Etienne Jaillard.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

22 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

In french it is called a "bénitier" that means font, because they were used as fonts in churchs.

Ahhh I had to look that up its a Baptismal Font now I understand they must be beautiful 

• I found this Informative 1

I have a document in french an english, a little old but it could interest you : http://horizon.documentation.ird.fr/exl-doc/pleins_textes/pleins_textes_7/b_fdi_51-52/010019744.pdf

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

15 hours ago, Stingray said:

Je vous remercie madame

De rien, je vous en prie Monsieur.

In memory of Doren