Dinosaur claw: not sure what species

Tankhero96

Cretaceous Age

Tegana Formation

South of Taouz, Kem-Kem basin, Morocco North Africa

measures approx. 13/16″ long I think its a sauropod of some kind?

coold2.jpg

coold3.jpg

First the Kem Kem Dinosaur Assemblage is primarily represented by Ifezouane and Aoufous Formations not the Tegana Fm.  Dinosaur claws from the KK beds are poorly described and little is known with a couple described only to a family level.  Your claw is not a sauropod since they have a very different morphology and are quite larger.   The proximal end of your appears to be restored to some degree, the tip is missing so the actual shape is unknown so its difficult to even say what animal it belongs to.

• I found this Informative 4

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Dinosaur claw: not sure what species
3 hours ago, Troodon said:

The proximal end of your appears to be restored to some degree

How can you tell? Is it because of the covering of matrix. It looks like it could have been applied with glue, maybe painted on as a glue matrix mixture with a paint brush?

I agree with Troodon.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

The areas in red have had some degree of resto done to it.  How much of the back is real is difficult to tell might be some to none.  It is not unusual to see matrix/bone/glue formed to complete a specimen or to hide major imperfections.  Unfortunately its very typical on KK material.  

coold2.jpg.373505b783683eb77701786d76945eda.thumb.jpg.c7685533cb0cd20e7129f8d52834b2ba.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

I agree with the comments above. Though I'm no expert on Kem Kem dinosaur material, I had taken a previous look at this claw when I stumbled across it a few months ago. The matrix covered areas look like classic Kem Kem restoration. The mid section of this little claw is nice, but there's also what looks like a repaired break in the middle of the claw.

Could this be chalked up to theropoda indet?

6 minutes ago, Bguild said:

Could this be chalked up to theropoda indet?

I don't believe you can assign it to any group. It could be bird or something completely different. Again we know very little of what the KK assemblage looks like.

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 years later...

@Tankhero96: did you prep the claw in the meantime? Perhaps it could be possible to identify it a little bit more after full prep.. Necessary to see if there is some more of the claw under the matrix or if it has been totally restored. thanks for updating!