Is this an odontoid-dens (odontoid process/peg) from a fossil C2 axis whale vertebrae

fossilnut

In with a number of whale vertebrae that were provided for me to do a talk on "Whale Evolution", I found two "unusual structures". My searches led me to believe that each of these were separated parts of the C2 axis vertebra namely an odontoid-dens that projected through the C1 atlas vertebrae to help with the rotation of the head. I was not able to find any pictures of this structure in any pictures of fossil whale axis vertebra online-I do not have access to professional papers. I did find pictures of modern whale axis C2 vertebrae with this structure. Can anyone confirm this identification or provide other suggestions? The 2 middle pictures below are of the fossils I am trying to ID.

WhaleOdontidProcessDensAxisThruAtlas.PNG

DSCN6383(1).JPG

DSCN6380(1).JPG

WhaleDensAxisAtlasVertebrae.PNG

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Is this an odontoid-dens (odontoid process/peg) from a fossil C2 axis whale vertebrae

This id was confirmed to me by Dr Stephen Godfrey of the Calvert Marine Museum through a separate communication. With my limited experience, I had never seen this structure on an axis vertebra. This may be of interest to TFF members.

Here are views of a small whale axis vertebra from the Middle Miocene Sharktooth Hill Bonebed, Bakersfield, Kern County, California.  It's about 2 3/4 inches wide.  It's a little worn, but if you would like to include these uploaded photos in your talk, you have my permission.

sth_axis1a.jpg

sth_axis1b.jpg

Thanks for your response and picture. I greatly appreciate it and your permission to use it. A most interesting anatomical feature.