Mammal Tooth From Sarawak, Malaysia

Iskandar

Hello Everybody,

My wife mother found one piece of mammal tooth from Kg Sebakau, Daro, Mukah, Sarawak, Malaysia. I think it was the first Sarawak mammal tooth fossil being found by non-scientist person like me. Can anybody ID this tooth? Perhaps belong to endemic deer or barking deer or else.

post-2330-12735149552934_thumb.jpg

post-2330-12735150741644_thumb.jpg

post-2330-12735154493586_thumb.jpg

They look like Deer molar (Cervidae). It could be a fossil sample; just put a flame in a corner of the root, and smell.

If it is a fossil (or mineralized), there will be no smell, if it`s smells like burned hair, it says us that there is still some organic matter (although it could be rather old! Lower Pleistocene?). ;)

Deer, very similar to Deer teeth that I have found in Florida, but it looks bigger. What is the size?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 2 weeks later...

I am unsure about the exact size because the tooth is at my home in the town. If I am not wrong, it's was measured,about one inches. It was test by putting the edge with small flame in a few second to see whether this was fully fossilized or just partial. Just sulfur smell. The mammal bone fragment I found there give similar result by sanding and polishing them. The polished bone gave very dark brown finish with small specks of pyrite crystals visible by 10x loupe. All fossil were being found on the beach of the island.

Perhaps this deer belong to the sunken Sunda grassland nearby the Sarawak during Pleistocene age.

• 1 year later...

Dear Iskandar,

I'm a vertebrate palaeontologist based in Seremban. Just google & found your posting here. The tooth looks interesting and pretty old (perhaps, older than those collected in Niah Cave). Moropus & Shellseeker are both correct, it is from a deer. The size given (one inch across) would be too big for barking deer (Kijang) and I say it is from a Sambar deer (Rusa). I'd sent e-mail to your gmail. if you are in Semenanjung & we could talk more about your interesting find :-)

Lim

Edited by Lim TT

Nice find Iskandar.

Lim, you might want to alter your email addy before search robots get hold of it.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.