Afrovenator or other theropod tooth?

JorisVV

Hi! Tooth a friend of my recently aquired.

Bought as an Afrovenator Abakensis. 

Location is Tiouraren hill, téneré desert, niger. 4,75 cm

Is it an Afrovenator or perhaps any other theropod tooth?

Crown based compared to a Carcharodontosaurus sp. Tooth from KemKem

Screenshot_20230503_231437_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230503_231445_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230503_231455_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230503_231504_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230503_231627_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230503_231428_Gallery.jpg

Identification of isolated teeth from Niger is very difficult because getting a solid provenance can be very problematic.  The little provided is just not trustworthy since deposits are not well defined, they are close to one another, collected by locals and material passes through many hands before it finally reaches the collector.

One paper is published on the identification of theropod teeth of the Tiouraren Fm by looking at only a few of teeth but only identifies them to Morph Types. 

The preservation of those teeth and others I've seen from that locality does not match your tooth.  Could just be a low sampling issue or the also be from the Irhazer Shale which underlies the Tiouraren.  These two deposits are known as the Irhazer Group.  Might also reflect its also from another deposit.

The features in your tooth that include the mesial carina not extending to the base and the marginal undulations on the distal side suggest that this might be a Meglosauridae.

Thats all I believe can be said about you tooth with all the uncertainty around Niger material.