Squalicorax Expert Opinions Needed ;-)

Tony Eaton

With temperatures >105 F here in Texas it is too hot to fossil hunt even at night or in the morning. I did manage to hit the library and look at some articles. I am trying to ID some "older" Squalicorax teeth. These are from the basal Tarrant formation in North Texas. I believe this is middle Cenomanian

(no Conlinoceras tarrantense ammonites here, probably younger).

After reading on elasmo.com that S. curvatus is a nomen dubium and S. sp. is now named I knew I needed to find the source article. Too, before researching I could see some clear differences between the two "older" species I had found.

http://www.elasmo.com/genera/genera.html#cret

ANACORACID SHARKS FROM THE ALBIAN (LOWER CRETACEOUS) PAWPAW SHALE OF TEXAS by MIKAEL SIVERSON

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118531977/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

These teeth are quite a bit younger than Albian cited in the article. Here is a close up of what I think resembles S. pawpawensis. This is due to very slight serrations combined with a generally porous root and a fairly tall dental band.

gallery_2139_888_35529.jpg

I think this tooth has a resemblance to S. baharijensis. This is due to the bigger serrations and the high dental band and put simply the "humped back".

gallery_2139_888_60498.jpg

Here are more teeth, with the above two pictures at the end of each row. The top row resembles baharijensis. (third tooth from left could be affinity of S. priscoserratus?) The second row has an affinity to S. pawpawensis. The lower row has an affinity to S. falcatus (different that the younger falcatus I find). Most teeth did not have serrations. It was not easy to find a pattern on how porous the roots are (priscoserratus should have more solid roots along with a more elongate crown)

gallery_2139_888_36098.jpg

Im sorry, Im pretty umfamiliar with these teeth, but I think they're very attractive...Its amazing how similar to miocene thresher shark teeth they look.

COOL finds!

CBK

Thanks CKB! I agree it is funny how similar they look to Miocene thresher sharks, although the literature explains that they are probably not closely related if I'm not mistaken.

I'm really curious of anyone's opinion good or bad LOL (although I have seen a few posts from people that obviously know more about this shark genus than me and probably at least have S. baharijensis from some part of the world). Squalicorax is probably the most common species to find anywhere in Cretaceous Texas, but as I study it is proof that abundance doesn't equal well studied.

Tony,

Take at look at this website on Squalicorax;

http://www.patricksharkteeth.com/

I’m sure you and Patrick can really get into a detailed discussion on the subject.

John

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

• 11 months later...

Better pictures of Squalicorax baharijensis or something close to it.

post-2139-0-82130800-1311830824_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-50402900-1311830842_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-35763000-1311830860_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-74684000-1311830896_thumb.jpg

Better pictures of Squalicorax baharijensis or something close to it.

i've always felt that Squalicorax teeth superficially resemble those of Tiger sharks. For example, look at your pic#4; that tooth looks so similar to G. contortus (without the twisted crown).

Nice teeth!

Daryl.

Looked at some of the G. contortus and they are similar!

One interpretation of Squalicorax I had in my heaad was that there is a study progression from Squalicorax sp. to S. curvatus, to falcatus, to kaupi, then pristodontus.

Lately there has been a lot of revision and new species named and it is getting more difficult to ID these teeth ;-) .

Edited by Tony Eaton

Looked at some of the G. contortus and they are similar!

One interpretation of Squalicorax I had in my heaad was that there is a study progression from Squalicorax sp. to S. curvatus, to falcatus, to kaupi, then pristodontus.

Lately there has been a lot of revision and new species named and it is getting more difficult to ID these teeth ;-) .

It is now turning out that there were multiple Squalicorax species living at the same time similar to Carcharhinus today.

On further review from what I had collected at this site (around the Eagle Ford / Woodbine contact) these anterior (sympheseal?) teeth are dramatically different than the "curvatus" symphesal that I'm attaching last. Pretty good evidence there were at least 3 fairly large Anacoracid sharks swimming around the same time and place.

post-2139-0-90375500-1311970083_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-89254900-1311970175_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-24345000-1311970192_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-09655500-1311970229_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-99146500-1311970285_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-58625700-1311970308_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-70886000-1311970320_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Eaton

And to round out the flavors of Anacoracidae at this particular site, a beat up and relatively large (5mm) Microcorax crassus or something that compares favorably to it.

post-2139-0-78194000-1311971427_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-72633600-1311971441_thumb.jpg

The first image looks like falcatus--though more like the teeth from the Atco (Austin Chalk overlaying the Eagle Ford group) than the Eagle Ford teeth.

The tooth with the darker crown does resemble pawpawensis, similar to material I've seen from Tarrant Co. But that would present a conundrum, since

that is much older than the Eagle Ford deposits. If I remember the Dallas Co. stratigraphy, The Eagle Ford deposits date back about 90 million years,

overlaying the Woodbine Group. The Pawpaw Formation I think is somewhere around the Albian Stage of the Cretaceous putting the age at somewhere

around 112 million years ago.

The first image looks like falcatus--though more like the teeth from the Atco (Austin Chalk overlaying the Eagle Ford group) than the Eagle Ford teeth.

The tooth with the darker crown does resemble pawpawensis, similar to material I've seen from Tarrant Co. But that would present a conundrum, since

that is much older than the Eagle Ford deposits. If I remember the Dallas Co. stratigraphy, The Eagle Ford deposits date back about 90 million years,

overlaying the Woodbine Group. The Pawpaw Formation I think is somewhere around the Albian Stage of the Cretaceous putting the age at somewhere

around 112 million years ago.

Thanks for the input and suggestions bt4. I agree the first and perhaps others are a bit more "falcatus" like. I have a fair amount of middle Turonian (Kamp Ranch) teeth to compare against as well as from the Atco. Maybe I'll put together some sort of comparison thread on this forum at some point. I guess if the heat continues I'll continue to have more time to analyze what I've found.

There is a publication that cites pawpawensis from this timeframe from Canada if memory serves correct.

http://paperfeed.org/node/317095

Perhaps if not pawpawensis the first tooth pictured in my last post with the slight crown and slight serrations is some undescribed member of "Palaeoanacorax" as described in this paper.