Best Echs Yet

calciteguy

OK. . . best day yet for echinoids and only 15 minutes from my driveway in Williamson Co., TX. Found 4 different species that I'll photograph and put up tomorrow AND a crab claw (3.5 x 2.4 cm) just missing the tips of the claw. NEVER thought I'd see that here but knew it was good as soon as I spotted it. Another heavy rain and would be sitting in the bottom of the river.

More tomorrow :P

Edited by calciteguy

Looking forward to the photos. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

OK. . . best day yet for echinoids and only 15 minutes from my driveway in Williamson Co., TX. Found 4 different species that I'll photograph and put up tomorrow AND a crab claw (3.5 x 2.4 cm) just missing the tips of the claw. NEVER thought I'd see that here but knew it was good as soon as I spotted it. Another heavy rain and would be sitting in the bottom of the river.

More tomorrow :P

There is an unspoken rule regarding best finds. After mentioning them, you only have 3

hours to posts pics of them.. :P:D

Welcome to the forum!

OK. . .

I finally have the pictures done and here they are. I think that the Holectypus sp is correct. If not let me know.

As I said, this site is 15 minutes from my front door so I will be back there looking for other new and exciting finds. As soon as the next rain falls I'll be beating a path to the outcrop in the Walnut :P

post-4132-085106800 1287023345_thumb.jpg

post-4132-026124900 1287023355_thumb.jpg

post-4132-007705600 1287023368_thumb.jpg

post-4132-074860000 1287023446_thumb.jpg

post-4132-035368400 1287023463_thumb.jpg

post-4132-027601200 1287023481_thumb.jpg

post-4132-033067800 1287023499_thumb.jpg

post-4132-022822900 1287023527_thumb.jpg

post-4132-031049500 1287023538_thumb.jpg

post-4132-061883000 1287023559_thumb.jpg

Beautiful finds! The 4th & 5th photos are a Coenholectypus planatus and it's a nice one. Coenholectypus have 5 pores in the apical system. :)

Just beautiful echs, calcite! I love that Coenholectypus especially and that one is in great condition.

The ones I have found are usually pretty beat up.. Congrats on your new fossil site.

Welcome to the forum!

Beautiful finds! The 4th & 5th photos are a Coenholectypus planatus and it's a nice one. Coenholectypus have 5 pores in the apical system. :)

John - Thanks for the correction to Coenholectypus planatus. Now I see what you are talking about. Being new to this I need expert guidance from members like you and Roz.

Bill

John - Thanks for the correction to Coenholectypus planatus. Now I see what you are talking about. Being new to this I need expert guidance from members like you and Roz.

Bill

Definitely no expert here...it's just one of 5 things I know and I'm trying to remember the others. :D

That's a big claw. Nice find!

Those are some amazing finds!

Ive never thought i would be saying this but i just love them :wub: (thanks to dan im now a echie person)

I was once gifted with a quarry 20 min from my house that yeilded some cool stuff to, I tried to go every other weekend. But now do to insurance stuff its now closed to collecters. Which was basicly me, cuz i was the only one to collect there. :(

So hang on to your site and never let go, but since your not in a quarry you wont have that problem. :D

Again im loving those echies and Happy hunting

-frozen

...this site is 15 minutes from my front door...

Quality like that 15 minutes away? Congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Those are great! You did very well and your so lucky to have a place like that close by.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice 15 minutes Pagurus banderensis (Rathbun) :wub:

Congrats. B)

Good info on the claw, Alex. :)

Did it change from Palaeopagurus to Pagurus?

Very cool! Love the spots we can hit even after a hard day at work!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Very cool! Love the spots we can hit even after a hard day at work!

This is my work, finding spots close to home ;)

Those are great! You did very well and your so lucky to have a place like that close by.

Thanks so much !!

Those are some amazing finds!

Ive never thought i would be saying this but i just love them :wub: (thanks to dan im now a echie person)

I was once gifted with a quarry 20 min from my house that yeilded some cool stuff to, I tried to go every other weekend. But now do to insurance stuff its now closed to collecters. Which was basicly me, cuz i was the only one to collect there. :(

So hang on to your site and never let go, but since your not in a quarry you wont have that problem. :D

Again im loving those echies and Happy hunting

-frozen

I'm putting this all together and think I know a couple other sites close by that may produce also.

Stay tuned!! :P

I'm putting this all together and think I know a couple other sites close by that may produce also.

Stay tuned!! :P

good luck! I can't wait to see what you find.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Welcome to the wonderful world of Central Texas echinoids, my friend! We are totally spoiled here! Those Ceohectypus (too lazy to look up spelling) are tough to find intact. For some reason they tend to get broken up. Good job!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Central Texas echinoids, my friend! We are totally spoiled here! Those Ceohectypus (too lazy to look up spelling) are tough to find intact. For some reason they tend to get broken up. Good job!

I get that spelling wrong as well. Crazy Latin names. Coenholectypus in the Walnut are often crushed but that one along with the others are very well preserved. There are places here near me in Travis County (just South of Calciteguy) where you find abundant but crappy echs and you go a quarter mile to the same level and they are perfect. And near me Salenias are few and far between.

And once you see the first crab claws (FYI, that one is from a hermit crab) you start to see others. I've found bits and pieces of what must be at least three different species in the Walnut of central TX.

Excellent finds.

Edited by erose

OK. . .

I finally have the pictures done and here they are. I think that the Holectypus sp is correct. If not let me know.

As I said, this site is 15 minutes from my front door so I will be back there looking for other new and exciting finds. As soon as the next rain falls I'll be beating a path to the outcrop in the Walnut :P

Nice finds, calciteguy, how do you fill after to find all that stuff in 15 minutes? :):o :o

Congrats

Nando

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/