Another Large Nautiloid

fishguy

This is from the same site as the tylo. i posted before. I think it is a gyroceras nautiloid (old name)anyone know of any info about these? This one has about 80 hours of prep work done to it.

post-1530-0-28452300-1295902574_thumb.jpg

This is from the same site as the tylo. i posted before. I think it is a gyroceras nautiloid (old name)anyone know of any info about these? This one has about 80 hours of prep work done to it.

Hi Fishguy and Welcome to TFF from Oregon! :)

That's an absolutely beautiful fossil, thanks for sharing it with us!

According to Index Fossils of North America the name you've provided is correct although the name Triboloceras, Hyatt, 1884 appears to have precedence. As of the 1944 printing it's referred to as Gyroceras serratum, Koninck, in honor of the nautiloid Family Koninckioceratidae. I'm sure the experts will weigh in here to sort out the particulars for you.

These are recorded as Mississippian fossils.

That's one of the nicest nautiloid fossils I've ever seen ... Spectacular!!! B)

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Check out this Iowa Geological Survey bulletin. Be prepared though, it's a 20mb pdf. on page 100 is the start of CEPHALOPODS OF THE LOWER CEDAR VALLEY GROUP: A GENERAL OVERVIEW.

Awesome link Caleb, his fossil is in that bulletin!

Just search the word "Gyroceras" to find it there! B)

Just to clarify, IFNA describes Mississippian material from Illinois and Indiana only, not the Devonian of Iowa.

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I can't help you though I'm sure Scott and Caleb already have, but I agree that is an impressive fossil, especially being from the Paleozoic - good job! But what is that yellowish blob on there, did something drip on it?

Edited by Wrangellian

Fabulous fossil Fishguy. Thanks for sharing it!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I fogot that a freind had used the pic in the Iowa Geo Survey Thanks for linking that. As far as the yellow stuf that is Paleo fill that the was used to fill a gap in a crack i plan on replacing it with somthing else just havent had time. Here are two others i have found one i gave to the guy for preping the first one the other i gave to the quarry manager. Thanks for the info

post-1530-0-33352200-1295986213_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Amazing finds! You are a very lucky person to have access to a place that harbors fossils like that. I hope you find more!

Could you describe your prepping process a little?

That's a real beauty, thanks for sharing--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

• 2 weeks later...