Fossilized Tube Worm Or Coral? Whats This?

westex11

We found this out in Texas. Its an accumulation of fossilized organisms, one of which seems to be some sort of tube worm. Can anyone identify what it is?

post-5185-0-38807600-1299243156_thumb.jpg

post-5185-0-36505000-1299243169_thumb.jpg

Neat lookin'!

Can you help us out with a general location of the find, and confirm the size (looks like regular printer paper it's on, but we can't tell which way it's oriented).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It was found in the southern tip of the edwards plateau. Its dimensions are about 5" x 6" x 10"

Look's like coral to me. I have no idea what kind.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Could be rudist(s)? (=a type of bivalve)

Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner! >My link<

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Awsome thanks for the information. This piece is really cool because the inside are completely crystallized.

Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner! >My link<

Can you highlight the areas where you see the resemblence?

I may just be dense this morning, but I'm not seeing it...

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Can you highlight the areas where you see the resemblence?

I may just be dense this morning, but I'm not seeing it...

I found this picture of a cross-section:

post-423-0-94660700-1299608097_thumb.jpg

A little imagination is required, but nothing else comes to mind that explains the exposed structures.

(BTW, I'm not going to reference the originating site for the picture: Norton kicked-in and blocked an attack on my computer :o )

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

This section here sure does look like an ungulate tooth section.

May be way off base, but that's what it looks like to me..

post-417-0-01545400-1299609783_thumb.jpg

Are we talking about the same object?

Yes. I see these as broken longitudinal sections; in horizontal cross-section, rudists have involutions in their shells that should look like these when broken vertically.

Yes. I see these as broken longitudinal sections; in horizontal cross-section, rudists have involutions in their shells that should look like these when broken vertically.

There is no doubt that they are rudists. Rudists came in a very wide range of shapes and sizes. Some skinny, some fat, some twisted and bent. I recently spent an afternoon at the Texas Memorial Museum helping out with ID day. Rudists were some of the more common things that folks brought in. They can look like corals, gastropods, bones, etc. And yours, as stated, even resembles a tooth. They also formed reefs and in some rocks are packed in like sardines. The Edwards of Texas is known for it's rudist assemblages. I strongly suggest doing a google search of "rudists" and you will find plenty of stuff and a great variety.

Aha. OK, cool.

I just don't see any resemblance to this thing on the page you linked to here.

-- Mr. Edonihce