Amphibian Fossil?

Napoleon North

Specimen: Small Upper carboniferous skull - full of sharp teeth preserved in sapropelic slate. An early carboniferous amphibian ?

Locality: Poland, GZW Upper Silesia Coal Basin - Gliwice

Coalmine: KWK "Sosnica - Makoszowy" in Gliwice

Stratigraphy: Upper Carboniferous Westfal A - Zaleskie Beds

matrix dimensions: 4,0 x 3,0 cm

skull dimensions: 1,0 cm long

post-1513-0-15582800-1302081398_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-87063900-1302081407_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-52474400-1302081416_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-62852500-1302081427_thumb.jpg

That seller is very knowledgeable about plants, but I just don't know what to make of this fossil.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think its a 3D preserved Rhizodont type scale that got 'ripped' as the shale parted along a plane of weakness resulting in the scale patternation being displayed in section creating those 'toothlike structures'...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I think its a 3D preserved Rhizodont type scale that got 'ripped' as the shale parted along a plane of weakness resulting in the scale patternation being displayed in section creating those 'toothlike structures'...

I have come across a few of these in Ohio from a Westphalian D (Carboniferous) site. It is most of a paleoniscoid (primitive actiniopterygian) maxilla.

cheers,

-PzF

I have come across a few of these in Ohio from a Westphalian D (Carboniferous) site. It is most of a paleoniscoid (primitive actiniopterygian) maxilla.

cheers,

-PzF

PzF....Interesting.... I have found 'boney skull plates' that are apparently individual skull bones but none with any ornimentaion on... Is this typically found adjacent to the jaw on this species?...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)