Associated Snake Vertebrae

Cris

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share one of my more recent finds. Two associated and still connected rattlesnake verts from the Pleistocene of Florida. Isolated pieces are fairly common, but finding any fossil bones that are still together is rare here. It's been a while since I was able to share anything with all of you, so here it is:

post-1553-0-14296200-1305747702_thumb.jppost-1553-0-90532200-1305747766_thumb.jp

post-1553-0-30827700-1305747734_thumb.jppost-1553-0-91467100-1305747798_thumb.jp

post-1553-0-21480000-1305747829_thumb.jp

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

These are fairly common and are fused due to arthritic growth. This has to be very painful for the snake.

Nice find cris its awesome finding articulated fossils

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Fairly common?

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

These are fairly common and are fused due to arthritic growth. This has to be very painful for the snake.

Interesting. I've never found or seen any others posted before. Happen to have any photos handy? When I say "fused", I mean still connected. They can be wiggled apart. It's surprising the current didn't separate them over the thousands of years.

Sweet find! Yeah,like 'Creek' said. he was a biggun'

Edited by Sundancer73

All your fossils are belong to us

Very cool find, Cris! I have only found one snake vert ever and it was modern.. I rarely

see those..

Welcome to the forum!

Not that common. 40+ years there and never found one anywhere near that big. As a long time snake keeper I am completely in love with that specimen. Way to go! :wub:

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

for those of you more versed in herpitology.....about how big around would that beastie have been (at that segment)

Very nice Cris! That would have been a very big snake!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Awesome find chris

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Cris, How do you know it's Rattlesnake. That would be a huge snake. I've seen 5-6' diamondback skeletons, and there verts aren't half as big as those!!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

maybe he's just got tiny fingers? man, a snake with a bad back is like a centipede with ingrown toenails.

but i held my fingers up to the screen in exactly the same position as the alleged cris person and i hypothesized adding ribs to the verts and their approximately wing-span and if that was a snake it was one with a thyroid problem. how do we know it wasn't one of those anacrumpets that squeeze the bejeebers out of ya?

Here's a couple. The really difficult to find ones are the ones with 3+ verts. The first specimen has 3 fused verts.

post-151-0-59484500-1305770737_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-31524200-1305770752_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-28743100-1305770762_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-23745400-1305770781_thumb.jpg

Very interesting. I figured with all the snake material you find, if this was a fairly common pathology, you would have some. I've seen this with alligator material before, but not snake.

Cris, How do you know it's Rattlesnake. That would be a huge snake. I've seen 5-6' diamondback skeletons, and there verts aren't half as big as those!!

In pic number 3, the protrusion at the bottom touching my thumb is broken off. It would have normally been pretty long and only vipers have them. It would be interesting to get a size estimate of how big this guy would have been!

Thanks Cris. I never knew that. (I thought I knew a lot about reptiles!!)

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

:) We have a fossil book here showing numerous snake vertebra and who they belonged to. :D

Bear-dog.

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share one of my more recent finds. Two associated and still connected rattlesnake verts from the Pleistocene of Florida. Isolated pieces are fairly common, but finding any fossil bones that are still together is rare here. It's been a while since I was able to share anything with all of you, so here it is:

post-1553-0-14296200-1305747702_thumb.jpgpost-1553-0-90532200-1305747766_thumb.jpg

post-1553-0-30827700-1305747734_thumb.jpgpost-1553-0-91467100-1305747798_thumb.jpg

post-1553-0-21480000-1305747829_thumb.jpg

:) Could that be from the [giant]rattlesnake talked about some years back in the news?At any rate super find.I own a baggie of snake verts. but none that large,let alone connected :D

Bear-dog.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Really neat find. Looking at your pictures, it is obvious that those came from a female, probably 4 years old, eastern diamondback, she had just laid some eggs prior to her death, and she was killed by a gator.

OK, that might not be all true.

Edited by N.AL.hunter

To my recollection, there was a species of giant rattler in Florida that reached over 8 feet. I saw a partial skeleton on display at the Graves Museum (unfortunately the museum is now closed).

The size record for the extant sps is 8'1".

Be true to the reality you create.

To my recollection, there was a species of giant rattler in Florida that reached over 8 feet. I saw a partial skeleton on display at the Graves Museum (unfortunately the museum is now closed).

The size record for the extant sps is 8'1".

Frank,

Very interesting. I did a little research on this and found mention of a species called Crotalus gigantus from the late Pleistocene of Florida. Apparently it was very similar to modern eastern diamondback rattlesnakes, only quite a bit larger. Did a search on the Forum and found this old post by Harry:

Here's the bad-boy, Crotalus giganteus, indistinguishable except for size from the eastern diamondback, C. adamanteus. according to Auffenberg.

post-1553-0-03778600-1305917959_thumb.jp

Apparently this is a pretty rare snake. Now if I could only find a paper with more information and measurements in it. I supposed nobody happens to have (or have access to) THIS article in their PDF collection?