Small Mammal Bones?

danco

Here are three, found at Sherman TX, Cretaceous. A is 5.5 cm long, B is 6 cm and C is 4.5 cm.

I have also a supposed vertebra fragment, 1.5 cm large (same place).

Is it possible to ID the animals?

post-4401-0-84509200-1306177008_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-14089600-1306177020_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-86229400-1306177048_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-80596200-1306177139_thumb.jpg

Interesting finds. Picture A and the 'supposed vertebra fragment' don't appear to be bone to me. Pictures B and C, on the other hand, ARE both bone but I'm sorry to say that I can't give you any determination of their source based on what you have. Keep in mind that we get a lot of Pleistocene and Holocene (modern) bones that wash into older sediments. Were these found in a creek/stream/river environment or were they in situ?

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Interesting finds. Picture A and the 'supposed vertebra fragment' don't appear to be bone to me. Pictures B and C, on the other hand, ARE both bone but I'm sorry to say that I can't give you any determination of their source based on what you have. Keep in mind that we get a lot of Pleistocene and Holocene (modern) bones that wash into older sediments. Were these found in a creek/stream/river environment or were they in situ?

The were found by a riverbed (creek) amongst shark teeth (mostly Scaphanorhynchus and a few Ptychodus).

-Joe

um, don't think you're looking at cretaceous. the one piece of bone looks sawn, and the other looks spiral-fractured, like it was broken like that while still green.

Interesting...

Well, A & C are indeed fossil bone... mammalian or not, cannot tell... and they are almost impossible to determinate...

By the other way, B & D are a concretion and a rock respectively... sorry :(

...A & C are indeed fossil bone...

Did you mean to say "B & C"?

I think A is clearly not bone, being composed of coarse, rounded sand grains.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!