Crinoid Budding

MikeD

I didn't want to hijack Pool Man's post, but Solius was asking about crinoid budding. I don't have a link to any papers, but I do have some more examples of budding. I don't remember seeing budding in Kentucky. These are Pennsylvanian from Brownwood, TX.

post-534-1217478667_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Thanks Mike. Though, inebriation prevents me from a more scholarly study of this phenomenon, I will investigate tomorrow.

Mike:

Crinoids, along with other echinoderms, are dioecious and do not reproduce asexually by budding. Numerous plants and lower invertebrates do reproduce by budding. Crinoids reproduce by release of eggs and sperm into the water for fertilization.

The scars seen on the crinoid columnals are the attachment points of cirri used for grasping and attachment purposes. Many crinoids, especially in the Mesozoic and Cenozoic, have cirri. The cirri in attached stalked crinoids (sea lilies) are used primarily for grasping while the cirri in the unattached crinoids (feather stars) are used for either attachment by grasping or locomotion. See the attached photographs from the internet for examples of cirri.

Regards,

Mike

post-153-1217484735_thumb.jpg

post-153-1217484765_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info Mike.

Guest solius symbiosus
Solius - you're funny. At least you're not drinking Vinac in acetone, I hope.

Nah, I like to sip my corn. Fine Kentucky bourbon is another hobby of mine.

Nah, I like to sip my corn. Fine Kentucky bourbon is another hobby of mine.

Cheers!

post-423-1217559252_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

Jimmy Russel is one of my favorite distillers. I was born and raised across the river from where it is made, and have drank it for years. Though lately, I have been drinking a lot of Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch, Bulleitt, and Knob Creek.