Pennsylvanian Tabulata Michelinia ?

Kehbe

I found this the other day alongside Hwy 350 at the base of a road cut in what I now know is Pennsylvanian. This piece was basically laying right on top of the rubble. The sp. I found that looks similar is Michelinia. Any thoughts?

pic1post-7046-0-37850800-1320423121_thumb.jpgpic2post-7046-0-88081100-1320423177_thumb.jpg

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Kehbe,

Yes, I think I agree with you as to genus Michelinia for your coral. I am sorry that I can't help on the species. Nice specimen.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

I've seen a couple Michelinia come from the Ladore Shale.

Your coral, though, looks quite worn like a pebble from a stream.

Was it found in a spot where it could be a stray piece of gravel?

Context is critical.

I've seen a couple Michelinia come from the Ladore Shale.

Your coral, though, looks quite worn like a pebble from a stream.

Was it found in a spot where it could be a stray piece of gravel?

Yes it was. I seem to find a lot of stuff in and amongst gravel beds. I always thought that they were probably washed in, carried in or otherwise transported to some of these areas either by glaciation, flooding and or water movement or by human influence so ID'ing has always been difficult for me and is probably why I get so discouraged at times although I am learning better techniques for ID'ing pieces thanks to you guys here! :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Yes it was. I seem to find a lot of stuff in and amongst gravel beds. I always thought that they were probably washed in, carried in or otherwise transported to some of these areas either by glaciation, flooding and or water movement or by human influence so ID'ing has always been difficult for me and is probably why I get so discouraged at times although I am learning better techniques for ID'ing pieces thanks to you guys here! :)

But the stray fossil do give us more to find.... :)

Context is critical.