Nautiloid Cephalopod I Believe......

Mabul

I've had this fossil for many many years and didn't have a clue as to what it was. Was found in Bedford County, TN, Ordovician Period. An old gentleman told me it was a petrified rattlesnake rattler and convinced me he had seen them that big for himself in that county. So for years that's what I told everyone it was. As a matter of fact, that's what got me interested in researching my fossils, because I ran across a picture of one on google images one day. Anyway, it layed around the garage for many years and someone evidentally slapped a white latex paint brush across it and that is the white stuff on one side. I'm almost certain it is a Nautiloid Cephalopod and I would like for someone to verify that and also need advice on how to remove the paint without damaging the limestone. Any help appreciated!

post-7303-0-55139600-1322807424_thumb.jpg

post-7303-0-46312800-1322807697_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mabul

Gie me a spark o' nature's fire, that's a' the learning I desire.

-Robert Burns

1759-1796

Hi Mabul,

Looking through the book Index Fossils of North America, this robust specimen reminds me of a possible Actinoceras sp. with a few different species recorded from the Ordovician Bigby-Cannon and Carters Limestone formations of central Tennessee. With luck someone can confirm or assist further with an ID on your superb fossil.

Thanks for posting! :D

post-4301-0-71753100-1322809459_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Nice cephalopod, phragmocone and living chamber. The part without septa (lines) would have been where the animal lived. If you could get a picture of the posterior end, where the septa are, but an end view it would possibly show siphuncle and would aid with an id. B)

Thanks to both of you for your interest. I will get some outdoor pics at different angles.

Gie me a spark o' nature's fire, that's a' the learning I desire.

-Robert Burns

1759-1796

If you need help with an ID you can call Ron Clendening at the state geology dept in Nashville. If he isn't there just about anyone you talk to can help and if they can't they will contact other folks for you and get an ID back to you all free of charge. They will also tell you some great places to dig and some cool stories. The paint can be removed with alcohol and Q-Tips or check at Lowe's for some of the safe paint removers.

It is a very good specimen. As mentioned the fact that you have the part where the animal lived is good and the overall shape appears to be well preserved. In the upper Ordovician there was a rather large variety of nautiloid cephalopods. Paint thinner probably will not do anything to the limestone other than make it smell. So start with the alcohol as suggested or maybe use paint thinner first and then clean that off with alcohol.