Brachiopod Chonetes Or Orthis?

Kehbe

Mo. Jackson co. KCMO Pennsylvanian, Iola Form. These post-7046-0-19387100-1324969608_thumb.jpgpost-7046-0-37575200-1324969597_thumb.jpg were laying on top of this block post-7046-0-41409200-1324969649_thumb.jpgpost-7046-0-92367900-1324969672_thumb.jpg that was laying in the debris slope of this cut post-7046-0-55330800-1324969924_thumb.jpgThis is the Muncie Creek shale you see in the cut here.

They look similar to Chonetes or Orthis but I couldn't find reference to Orthis in this area. I will keep looking though. As you can see, the smallest of them is different than the others. Not sure what it is either but I am researching it. I assume the grey color and crisp feel of these is because of the material they were fossilized with. Unusual to me was the fact that they were all on top of this large block, along with a few crinoid stems and other various shell fragments and bryozoan fragments. I am going to go back there and try to find a few more, I think they would look good under glass on black velvet in a gray frame. I would love to have a positive ID though to include a tag in the frame. They are nice and flat and so lend themselves to that. Plus provide nice storage! ;) Hey Thanks for looking!

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Nice brachs. They are Derbyia (probably Derbyia crassa).

I'm thinking that the limestone block (Paola) tumbled over, and the brachs were originally on its underside (uppermost Chanute Shale). Derbyia can sometimes be found in large numbers near the beginnings of marine transgressions.

Context is critical.

Nice brachs. They are Derbyia (probably Derbyia crassa).

I'm thinking that the limestone block (Paola) tumbled over, and the brachs were originally on its underside (uppermost Chanute Shale). Derbyia can sometimes be found in large numbers near the beginnings of marine transgressions.

I agree...Derbyia

post-6417-0-81273800-1324995145_thumb.jpg

The above image is from our own Lance Hall's website

Click on "Picture Index" at the top of the website and then

scroll down to "Pennsylvanian Period" and select Brachiopods

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Thank you Missourian for the ID and Indy for the confirmation! Indy, the link to Lance Hall's website is fantastic! Lots of good info there and you can bet it will be a site I visit often! I have already added it to my favorites! :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Those bachiopods like everyon has said are indeed Derbyia thought they were Neospifier atlus but that didn't make scense.

Fragile little ones take care of em.

Edited by Texas-Tunnel Rat

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Those bachiopods like everyon has said are indeed Derbyia thought they were Neospifier atlus but that didn't make scense.

Fragile little ones take care of em.

TTR, they ARE fragile. As I said in the original post, they are very 'crisp' feeling, (only way I can describe them for lack of a better word) and very lightweight also. They almost feel like glass or porcelain and when you set them down on the table they sound like that too! ( a 'tink' sound) :) Very unusual composition and very different than what I am used to collecting. Thanks again guys!

Charles Darwin

TTR, they ARE fragile. As I said in the original post, they are very 'crisp' feeling, (only way I can describe them for lack of a better word) and very lightweight also. They almost feel like glass or porcelain and when you set them down on the table they sound like that too! ( a 'tink' sound) :) Very unusual composition and very different than what I am used to collecting. Thanks again guys!

not sure about others but I use watered down Butvar and or tacky glue to keep them together better and of course in some kind of medical gauss for show and tell.

PUBLICATIONS

Author

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

Education

I went back to this location on my lunch hour today and this is what I found. I really like the Bryozoan fan bits. They are VERY delicate but I managed to lift them with tweezers and get them in a small box without breaking them any further than they already were. They were laying loose, not in matrix. There is some Bryazoa still in the matrix also in these pics but the two pieces are loose, lacy and you can see through them. ;) The off color (white) piece really stood out from all the others and may have found it's way onto the block from another location further up the wall as it does not resemble the other fossils either in texture, composition nor type. I will research further when I get home as well as the small bunch of shells in the lower left corner. All in all, nothing shaped as well as the very first Derbyia found here but some interesting stuff none the less! Thanks for looking! :)

pic1post-7046-0-37759800-1325019319_thumb.jpgpic2post-7046-0-64607000-1325019338_thumb.jpgpic3post-7046-0-81700700-1325019348_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kehbe

Charles Darwin

Nice haul

These appear to be the brachopod Chonetinella sp.

post-6417-0-66945800-1325020068_thumb.jpg

yep those are, and also looks like Juriesia and Magniferia are making the group.

PUBLICATIONS

Author

Author

Quotes

Education

Kehbe

Here is another useful website...many Pennsylvanian fossils

Clicking on the name will take you to pages with images and information

LInk: Click Here

Explore the menu and you will find many familiar fossils :)

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Too bad so many of the fossils are crushed flat. More victims of sediment de-watering I suppose.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/