Fabulous Canine

CreekCrawler

Hi All! I sifted up this wonderful canine tooth from Sherman,Texas. It appears to be from a canid and is larger than a coyote canine tooth from my collection.I also held it next to my extant comparison subjects canine" a 75 lb Labrador". The tooth is quite a bit larger than her quite large canines.

It appears to be fossilized due to the resounding tap test on the root portion.You know, tap the fossil on your teeth and listen for the ceramic sounding report.I haven't tried the burn test because the item in question is in superb shape. I just can't see scarring the tooth in any way.

My question is what do we have here,Wolf ???

thanks

Barry

post-417-0-84786500-1326809044_thumb.jpgpost-417-0-16657100-1326809065_thumb.jpg

Hi All! I sifted up this wonderful canine tooth from Sherman,Texas. It appears to be from a canid and is larger than a coyote canine tooth from my collection.I also held it next to my extant comparison subjects canine" a 75 lb Labrador". The tooth is quite a bit larger than her quite large canines. It appears to be fossilized due to the resounding tap test on the root portion.You know, tap the fossil on your teeth and listen for the ceramic sounding report.I haven't tried the burn test because the item in question is in superb shape. I just can't see scarring the tooth in any way. My question is what do we have here,Wolf ??? thanks Barry
This is probably an ursid canine, not a canid tooth.

"Fossilized" is a near meaningless term. The term is often substituted for "mineralized" in describing a bone or tooth. But, fossilized doesn't always equate to mineralized in that some (many) fossils are not perfused or replaced by minerals.

A 'burn test' will usually indicate whether there is collagen remaining in a bone. Teeth - dentin and enamel - don't contain collagen, so the 'burn test' on a tooth would be a waste of time.

The 'click test' - the tapping against your teeth - was a joke that caught on. There are plenty of other things in the environment against which you can click a bone. Don't put the remains of dead, decomposed animals in your mouth. :drool:

post-42-0-45844300-1326817623_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for the great info and lingo corrections.

Now I need to do some research and see when the last bear sighting was in Grayson County :)

Cool tooth! Congratulations, Barry! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Barry we have black bears around the Sulphur River NOW, from what I understand there were 4-6 released in the last decade. I have seen their tracks in some upper tributaries of the Sulphur.

Yes, I have a picture of my foot next to a bear track. Also from the extreme Eastern portion of the North Sulphur River.Pretty neat! I've heard that some also come in from Louisiana and once they cross into Tx they are protected.

Edited by CreekCrawler

Protected or not, I'm not going to be lunch for the bear while I am at the river, if you get my meaning.

Happy Hunting