Posterior Meg Or Serrated Thresher

DeloiVarden

Hey Guys, I know there have been many small posterior megs sold has rare serrated thresher and certainly there have been more than a few threads on the forum about them. So I wanted to get your input on this tooth. More than just an opinion on id, please help me with some of the characteristic you think distinquish the serrated thresher from the meg. I know one I look for is the more even root structure of a thresher. As for my opinion on this one, I am leaning toward posterior meg. Needs a little more curve in the blade and a deeper root curve on the non display side. Thanks, Jason

post-4422-0-68420500-1343103465_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-53310900-1343103474_thumb.jpg

Edited by DeloiVarden

Yours is definitely a Meg tooth. Maximum size on the Thresher is around 2 inches and they usually have more hook to the blade with a corresponding notch like a Tiger Shark tooth. They also have a deeper U- shaped root , a more rounded labial side and are thicker like a Benedeni.

post-3033-0-10177500-1343107884_thumb.jp post-3033-0-36521600-1343107907_thumb.jp

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  November, 2016  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   April, 2019

Jason,

I agree with Gizmo - megalodon all the way. In a serrated thresher as you indicated, the "basal root margin" is rather deeply concave or U-shaped but the "brm" of your tooth is more shallow than that (more of a broad V-shape) and your tooth also has a rather straight mesial cutting edge - should be more curved. I have seen very few of these (especially without water-wear) but it seems the serrations are also less regular than in C. megalodon.

Jess

Hey Guys, I know there have been many small posterior megs sold has rare serrated thresher and certainly there have been more than a few threads on the forum about them. So I wanted to get your input on this tooth. More than just an opinion on id, please help me with some of the characteristic you think distinquish the serrated thresher from the meg. I know one I look for is the more even root structure of a thresher. As for my opinion on this one, I am leaning toward posterior meg. Needs a little more curve in the blade and a deeper root curve on the non display side. Thanks, Jason

Thanks Gizmos and Siteseer, just what I needed, some great characteristics to look for in the future. Beautiful example Gizmo!

meg. the root on the threshers are a giveaway. nice posterior.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher