Skull?

Vordigern

we've been having some heavy rains the past few weeks and I decided to make a trip out to a local cretaceous woodbury formation stream Id been neglecting this summer. Tried out a trick someone told me to try looking at the stream bottom through a large, clear, plastic bowl and I spied this little guy but when I went to pick it up it started falling apart, I was able to recover 8 pieces and reassemble them but from the looks of the edges I missed a couple pieces. Aprox 1 3/4"X1 3/8",concave and inside is nice and smooth with a tiny "dot" texture and about 15 small dimples mostly around the edges (predation?). The outside is in rougher condition and under magnification has a "finger print" texture. There is also what looks like the remains of a 7/8" long ridge of some sort but only about 3/8" of it is really pronounced enough to see in the pics. My only guesses are part of a small skull as I have seen a similar "finger print" texture on another creataceous amphibian skull in one of my books or maybe a very small turtle shell.

post-5983-0-31752800-1344260675_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-53934900-1344260690_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-79841600-1344260705_thumb.jpg

I think you are on track with the skull idea, because those edge "dimples" look like sutures to me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

turtle skull was my first thought, but Ive seen similar textures on some turtle scutes so I wasnt positive

Turtle skull bones tend to be disproportionately thick for their size; how would you rate this one in that regard?

They also have very simple sutures.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

its funny you should mention that, one of the first things I noticed was how thick it was for its size