Rockin' Chica

This is outside the realm that I'm familiar with, but this is very cool. Can't wait for the experts to identify this! Thanks for posting this..... I'll be watching! :popcorn:

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Chica,

I'm wondering if you may have some form of cephalopod. Do a google image search and you'll find some that look very similar to your pics. In reading your other post, if you're referring to the fourth image in this post as a scale, I believe it's a brachiopod.

It is quite an interesting fossil. Thanks for posting it. I look forward to other's input.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

thanks! it very well, may be a Ceph! i am anxtious to start sawing the others out!

Gratitude and Well Wishes!

Ashley

It sounds like you must be in a very good area. We'll be anxious to see what other finds you can post. Keep us updated!

From your other post, if you whacked your finger with a hammer while retrieving these, by all means, be careful if you're going to start sawing some out. We don't want to read that you sawed your finger off. :doh!:

Edited by sward

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Very nice photography with great close up shots. I enjoyed seeing the piece, but have O to add on ID.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Rockin Chica,

I think it may be an orthocone cephalopod.

Here's my reasoning: what you are seeing as scales at the front may actually be crushed shell material from the outside of the ceph, and then the first few inches on the left that look like vertebrae are actually the outside cast of the cephalopod sections. Also looks like at least one more on the slab as well. Seeing as your area is Ordovician in age, I'm going for invertebrate on this. Pic 4 shows some brachiopods, not fish scales if that was what you were thinking they were.

Hopefully, JimB88 may have some more insights.

Neat find. Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

After evaluating my posts; I have concluded that my figures are illiterate! :wacko:

Gratitude and Well Wishes!

Ashley

I found a couple of stacked cephalopods not long ago that looked very similar just smaller. Same types of other critters were right beside them. Going to same orthocones too along with a couple of nice brachs.