Tooth Id.

garyc

Mammoth tooth root???

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Agreed - but not part of the "root". ;) An example for comparison. In the first photo of this juvenile tooth, the root is on the left.

Nice find, Gary.

post-420-0-40508400-1356813859_thumb.jpg post-420-0-09853700-1356813909_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

This is the root of a mammoth molar. I have seen many examples from Texas and other places over the years. They tend to break up like this when they are weathered.

I frequently get confused on this. This is a single plate broken off the tooth, and it is not the root, but the occusal chewing surface. Those "bumps" are not yet used for chewing but will form the chewing surface. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I frequently get confused on this. This is a single plate broken off the tooth, and it is not the root, but the occusal chewing surface. Those "bumps" are not yet used for chewing but will form the chewing surface. SS

Ditto that. If I'm correct what I found is the the side of a tooth that had not erupted yet? Looks like there is no wear on the occlusal side of it. The root side is broken off.

Ditto that. If I'm correct what I found is the the side of a tooth that had not erupted yet? Looks like there is no wear on the occlusal side of it. The root side is broken off.

Agreed.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ