Odd Shark Tooth

Shellseeker

I was finding Snaggles, which along with Makos and Megs, are the 3 larger teeth in the Peace River. As I tossed this one into my bag, I thought "small worn snaggle". But snaggles have serrations, lots of them. This one seems to have an edge like a Mako but not shaped like a Mako.

So, super worn snaggle, imagination, or .....

post-2220-0-38038100-1357264741_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-70764200-1357264753_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

It's a broken thresher tooth, Alopias grandis.

Curious. This was found Wednesday in the Peace River, SW Florida It is a first for me and also the first Thresher I have heard found in the Peace River. I'll check with my fossil club members. Feel good about this one, While Thresher may be more prevalent elsewhere, in the Peace River , it is downright rare. Thanks SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Threshers are not real common anywhere. Though I found two in one dive the other day, I can usually go 10 or 20 dives without find one. Various species of thresher have been around for a much wider window than many of the more commonly found species, but I wonder if their populations where smaller. It doesn't help that a thresher just doesn't jump out at you on the bottom of the river like a 5" meg does.

Edited by DeloiVarden

Thobern was spot on with A. grandis.

DeloiVarden is correct that Giant Threshers are a fairly uncommon species. In some areas where they are found they are down right rare, like where I collect in MD along Calvert Cliffs. Seems like the further south one goes on the East Coast USA, they tend to be found more often; this is just based on the number of folks I see on TFF reporting them in their finds, as well as the sheer number of them I see posted on eBay and other online sites. South Carolina seems to be a more common locale for them, so much so that folks selling them on eBay don't usually get more than $100 for even really nice ones. I don't recall seeing a Giant Thresher from Florida, so perhaps they are less common there. As a friend from NJ would usually remind me, deriving conclusions from death assemblages isn't very accurate, but it's all I have to go on.

Giant Threshers are a bit of a big deal anywhere, and apparently more so from the Peace River; congratulations!

Run your thumbnail along the edges to see whether there are fine serrations; serrated Gt. Threshers are an order of magnitude rarer, and it's worth going for the gold while the luck holds! ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

is for sure Thresher teeth..i have found many of them..im in south carolina and as daryl said we have many of them here..beautiful though..

No serrations Auspex, but I am really pleased. This one will get it's own riker, broken or not. My local fossil club president does not recall seeing another Thresher, identified as being from the Peace River. Not conclusive, but telling. SS

SS,

I've never found the 'giant' thresher like you have there but I have found 2 or 3 more conventional Alopias teeth in the Peace. They are packed currently, but I'm pretty confident in the 2 or 3 count on them. That is out of thousands upon thousands of shark teeth from the Peace.

SS,

I've never found the 'giant' thresher like you have there but I have found 2 or 3 more conventional Alopias teeth in the Peace. They are packed currently, but I'm pretty confident in the 2 or 3 count on them. That is out of thousands upon thousands of shark teeth from the Peace.

That is my feeling also -- I can and do find hundreds of small shark teeth on a single outing. I have never found a thresher tooth before and do not have fossil friends who state they have found one in the Peace. One fossil hunter found a larger one while scuba diving in the Gulf for Megs. This will join my other slightly more common rarity - 1 upper cowshark tooth from the Peace.

post-2220-0-86025300-1357393976_thumb.jpg

Seems like maybe I should pick thru the teeth I have and take a better look at what's there.

WTG SS.

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.