Lepidodendron Leaves And A Few Others Things For The Show

Plantguy

Hey Gang, So I've been working on what to put in a showcase for the upcoming local fossil show and ran across this leaf plate. Came from Alabama via ebay and has a nice association of things if you are into plants that I thought I should show you...Has a number of narrow Lepidodendron leaves...(Cyperites) all over the plate. A Lepidodendron cone bract (Lepidostrobophyllum) lower right horizontal 7cm long and a small cone (Lepidostrobus?) blackish horizontal in the middle bottom of the plate.

post-1240-0-98124100-1362159105_thumb.jpg

I was considering using plants only in a showcase but I'm leaning now to using this poster in the back of the showcase and displaying general fossils that I have bought/accumulated over the many years. Maybe I could do plants some other time---some time partial leaf fossils are just not that showy....I like them but....

post-1240-0-87408800-1362159135_thumb.jpg

This is a shot of many of the leading candidates I was considering putting in the case....Tried to get most of the showier types patterned after the poster....You'll notice I like plates showing the matrix!!!. The feedback I have thus far are tiretracks are not that impressive and need more shiney stuff! I'm working on both of those issues :) ...have more material to go thru....

post-1240-0-56611700-1362159177_thumb.jpg

Thought you'd enjoy seeing some of the stuff I'm considering though.

Regards, Chris

• Enjoyed 1

Chris.... Very nice display.... take a photo of the setup when your done....Your right, you could probably baffle them a little with just plants as I would imagine it would be very difficult to interpret the carboniferous ecosystem from just nodular and shale fragmented remains(pieces of the jigsaw)...even though as fossils they are equally impressive... a good mixture is the way to go.... I agree...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Chris,

I think you and Steve are correct. Mixture is the way to go.

You have a great collection in that 3rd photo, and that would be enough to keep me standing and drooling over the case for a good long while!

I love plants too, but most people just aren't that into them.

Great poster, too!

Good luck on the display!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015     MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg   Screenshot_202410.jpg      IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Steve/Tim, thanks for the comments. Still going thru other options....Here's another lycopod leaf litter plate (Graissessac France--30X20cm) that I could lull the masses to sleep with

post-1240-0-31159200-1362359372_thumb.jpg

but I'll hold off as I sit pondering the accumulation...the transport/deposition had to be more energetic to get those larger pieces chewed up and deposited than the Alabama material which seems more complete and not fragmented, spread out...quiet/subdued........

Regards, Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris! Nice Cyperites plate! I like it! You've got the leafy branch fragment as for me at the bottom part of the specimen. Regards, Roman

Hi Roman, thanks. I like it too. Good eyes, that leafy straplike fragment with parallel veins is indeed a small section of a Cordaites leaf. On the opposite side of this plate is another larger Cordaites fragment....here's a picture of it--I think I photographed it before awhile back---about 20cm long along side a few other Cyperites...post-1240-0-48537600-1363829805_thumb.jpg

Also, here are the final general candidates for the fossil show case for the weekend...a so so photo of them from the staging area in my garage so I know what goes where...post-1240-0-50914000-1363829761_thumb.jpg The camping gear in the background isnt going in the case!

Regards, Chris

Hi Roman, thanks. I like it too. Good eyes, that leafy straplike fragment with parallel veins is indeed a small section of a Cordaites leaf. On the opposite side of this plate is another larger Cordaites fragment....here's a picture of it--I think I photographed it before awhile back---about 20cm long along side a few other Cyperites...attachicon.gifCordaites and Cyperites.jpg

Also, here are the final general candidates for the fossil show case for the weekend...a so so photo of them from the staging area in my garage so I know what goes where...attachicon.gifPlanned Tampa Showcase 2013.jpg The camping gear in the background isnt going in the case!

Regards, Chris

Great collection Chris! What fossil is under St. Clair fern specimen and left from the fossil fish? Regards, Roman

Chris.... What a truly outstanding disply of fossils... Well done fella for sure :thumbsu: ... I'd be proud of that... I bet its taken some work to research and put together and I'm sure all those that are fortunate enough see it first hand will be gobsmacked at the quality and diversity of the collection... you got some cracking fossils there you really have... I'm glad to see you picked some nice ammonites for the centrepiece (not that i'm biased in anyway obviously :D ) I think its the spirals @ you are automatically drawn to them... That Annularia is a beauty!...

Let us know how the day goes and take some photos if you get chance in between answering questions....

Nice job, Chris!

It ends up looking great and it will be one of the more interesting showcases for sure!

Congratulations.

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Chris.... What a truly outstanding disply of fossils... Well done fella for sure :thumbsu: ... I'd be proud of that... I bet its taken some work to research and put together and I'm sure all those that are fortunate enough see it first hand will be gobsmacked at the quality and diversity of the collection... you got some cracking fossils there you really have... I'm glad to see you picked some nice ammonites for the centrepiece (not that i'm biased in anyway obviously :D ) I think its the spirals @ you are automatically drawn to them... That Annularia is a beauty!...

Let us know how the day goes and take some photos if you get chance in between answering questions....

I would say the same if I knew English better! Well done!

I would say the same if I knew English better! Well done!

I second.......... :fistbump::D

Astrinos P. Damianakis

I'll 3rd that! :D

Chris - amazing collection for display!

Nice variety, and well set up, with description cards and all!

Great job on this, all around.

Thanks for showing this to us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015     MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg   Screenshot_202410.jpg      IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Steve/Tim, thanks for the comments. Still going thru other options....Here's another lycopod leaf litter plate (Graissessac France--30X20cm) that I could lull the masses to sleep with

attachicon.gifCyperites Graissessac France.jpg

but I'll hold off as I sit pondering the accumulation...the transport/deposition had to be more energetic to get those larger pieces chewed up and deposited than the Alabama material which seems more complete and not fragmented, spread out...quiet/subdued........

Regards, Chris

Really like these cyperite leaves Chris, NICE!

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

Hey Steve/Astron/Roman/Tim/Ric, thanks for the positive comments! I've accumulated quite a bunch of small stuff thru trades/buys/finds over the past 45 years. Havent displayed some of the stuff since sons were in boy scouting.

Roman, Here's the fossil you asked about. Its a partial Paradoxides gracilis trilobite Mid Cambrian from Czech Republic (only the pygydium and thorax---missing the cephalon(head) but it shows well! post-1240-0-72382600-1364581058_thumb.jpg

The Tampa show went well. Was only around for Sunday afternoon but got to meet some folks and see some great material. Most of the displays contained vertebrate material which is found all over Florida. Here are two of those goodies! post-1240-0-56331900-1364581744_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-80391800-1364581751_thumb.jpg

Highlight for me had to be seeing some of Frank Garcias's critters in a case! Here are several shots of them.

post-1240-0-72270300-1364581152_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-86734400-1364581220_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-62277600-1364581337_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-49869600-1364581578_thumb.jpg

I believe the oreodonts are all from his treks to the bad lands.

Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

Chris.... Great to see and thanks for sharing them with us....