Awesome Utah Trip

FossilForKids

I finally made it back to Utah 1 year later. I met up with 14 of my friends from AZ. Since they are mainly rock collectors we went to sites for Geodes, obsidian (mohagany and snow flake) and sunstone, We also spent a nice productive 1/2 day at U-dig. But my goal and highlight of the trip was my Triassic Ammonite site near Cowboy pass. I spent two days there, found some great stuff but most importantly learned how to reach the layer. We had an awesome and crazy time. Our camp was hit by a windstorm which total destroyed a tent, a covered portable shelter (squashed it like a stepped on spider) and sent a queen size air mattress 1/2 mile down the road! Another storm chased us away from the ammo site after we made a perfect hole and laid out 10 large slabs to be searched for ammos. Someone is going to get lucky when they find it! Much of what I found needs to be prepped but here are some preliminary shots. The one with two large ammos have specimens of 3 inches and 4 inches which is a pretty good size from this spot. We found 80% of the pieces from one that had to be 13 to 15 inches in diameter!

If some of them appear shiney it's because I wet them to bring them out.

Enjoy

post-1292-0-27291200-1368949561_thumb.jpg

post-1292-0-77799300-1368949578_thumb.jpg

post-1292-0-04348500-1368949592_thumb.jpg

post-1292-0-25876800-1368949607_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Here are some more

post-1292-0-93265900-1368949659_thumb.jpg

post-1292-0-79755200-1368949689_thumb.jpg

And 2 more

post-1292-0-98613100-1368949738_thumb.jpg

post-1292-0-75195900-1368949756_thumb.jpg

Love it! All still in matrix :wub:

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Nice ammos.

I love Utah whether I find fossils or not.

Context is critical.

you done good!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Fantastic finds; I'm very envious! :wub: Do you know what species they are?

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

Enjoyed the post, nice ammo's in the matrix----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Dan, you would love this place! There is alot of it and plenty of exploring and digging.

Ammo Joe, The first of 4 is a Xenoceltites, then a Inyoites oweni,next a Kashmirites, lastly another Inyoites oweni. The next two you have (not sure about the two large ones togwthwr then a Anasibirites kingi. On the lat two the first is simplt too eroded for me and the next one is possibly a Churkites noblei

I have also found Guodunites hooveri ,little Juvenites septentrionalis,Wyomingites arnoldi,Protychitid and several other species.

Nice variety! Have fun prepping! Regards, Chris

Just being in Utah is a PLUS, findind Triassic fossils is a big PLUS PLUS, then finding and collecting Triassic ammonites is a big Plus Plus Plus. Really nice.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

I've seen a lot of ammoniters on TFF lately. Wish we had them in Ohio...very cool finds.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I originally was going to spend 4-5 days alone out there but then it grew to a group trip of 15 people so I was lucky to get parts of 2 days. I hope to go back some day but if I don't I've been blessed to be there. KIt is approximately hours from the nearest civilization and it is very peaceful out there. I found5 distinct locations to collect/dig and another 3 sub locations.

Good for you. I have walked all over Cowboy Pass a couple times and found very little there. Looks like you found the right spot.

Regardless, it is a beautiful area and it is fun to climb about in all the old mining holes in the hill there.

Dave

Dave if you ever go back I'll give you directions to the spot

Great finds, I tried finding that area a few years ago when I was out there but no luck. Someday I will make it back out and then I will pester you for the site coordinates! :P

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

For you my friend I would describe just how to get there :D I do not have GPS but I can describe exactly how to get to the area. I found at least 5 distinct sites to dig. It is a known site by a few locals, universities and others buit it is isolated and plenty of it if you are willing to dig and split.

What's fossil hunting without a hair raising adventure or two??

Glad no one was hurt, and that you found a bunch of cool stuff, John.

Thanks for the great report.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the offer John. I will take you up on it if I can get back out that way this summer.

Dave

No problem Dave. I may go out trhere one last time next spring and maybe get some forum members to come along.