Big Mossy Jaw Section

truceburner

When I reached into the creek for this strangely shaped rock I had no idea what I was picking up. It just looked interesting. Closer inspection revealed what looks to my admittedly untrained eye to be a broken tooth in a big ol' socket, similar in size to the semi-circles on either end of the stone, which I now take to be sockets themselves. Then I noticed the unerupted(?) tooth along one side.

The whole piece is ~6cm long, 3.5cm wide, and 4.5cm high. The complete tooth socket is just over 2cm at it's widest.

post-7896-0-45915100-1370016875_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-66734300-1370016873_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-06249000-1370016872_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-22057600-1370016870_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-86814600-1370016867_thumb.jpgpost-7896-0-69414600-1370016865_thumb.jpg

Is that indeed an unerupted tooth? This must have been a pretty big beast with a jaw this robust. What do you think?

Thanks!

I think your ID is spot on. That was a BIG boy!

Way to go! That's a monster indeed.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks! I wonder what this jaw looked like coming out of the matrix.

Without knowing anything about where this fossil was found, i'll hazard a guess. The spacing between the sockets, the shape and size of the sockets, along with the unerupted tooth, sure reminds me of a whale jaw segment. The unerupted tooth is very similar to vestigial teeth found in modern sperm whales that never erupt.

Edited by BullStrong

“Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" 

Descartes

Hi Bullstrong. This piece was washed into a stream environment in Austin, TX. It's likely Cretaceous Ozan material, in which case it would predate whale evolution by a bit. The mineralization looks very similar to the Mosasaur material I find around here. My thought is that this is perhaps Tylosaurus or one of the other big Mosasaurs.