Bone? From New Mexico?

iluvrobin

I'm just starting to learn about fossils. The other day I bought a box of rocks and this was one of the fossils in it. (not as exciting as finding my own, but there was some neat stuff in there!) There were mailing labels on the box between the geology departments at the universities here in Albuquerque and in Socorro, NM, so I assume they were found in NM. This is about 6" long. Can anyone give me an idea of what it is? Thank you!

post-12186-0-63455300-1370992462_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-93139100-1370992475_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-49071300-1370992481_thumb.jpg

It is an important fossil possibly stolen from the university? I see some grain that indicates bone, but I can't ID what type. Please email the paleontology department to make sure this wasn't "lost" in the mail.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to say Welcome to the forum :)

Edited by Scylla

I hadn't thought of that. The mailing labels are from the 1960's or so!

Wow, OK. Some geologist brought his work home and it ended up in the estate sale? :blink: Seems you have more than one mystery on your hands! What else is in the box?

As for what it is, My brain is getting no traction at all...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Would love to see what is in the box but, well, it is posted to FB so guess I will just imagine what it is.

I didn't want to use up all the space here, I'll be glad to post the pictures here instead if you'd like.

I didn't want to use up all the space here, I'll be glad to post the pictures here instead if you'd like.

Space we got! :)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Here's a picture of everything that was in the box. If you can see the album on facebook there's closeups and better pictures of a lot of them. Too big to post on here, sorry.post-12186-0-84338600-1370996437_thumb.jpg

Really? the introduction warned me not to post a bunch of big pictures :) I'll fix them up and post them here, then!

The three above specimens are what we affectionately call "hash plates"; the first and third feature brachiopods, the second shows bryozoans (the stick-like forms). All are from the Paleozoic. We've members who can refine the IDs and age. Nice!

Yes those last three are Paleozoic and an educated guess would be the Upper Ordovician. They look like classic slabs from the area around Cincinnati.

o u got a box of goodys if u ask me..... some sweet hash plates don't sweat it u'll have many answers soon

Edited by toren

Should I post pictures of each one in a new topic? I can try to take some better photos.

You can continue to post them here in this topic.

:)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

There's another one like this that's in pieces. This appears to be set in plaster.

post-12186-0-18560500-1371057682_thumb.jpg

I would say its chalk... not plaster....its a marine animal that when it dies drifts down to bottom and the skeletons make the chalk .... like the White cliffs of Dover in the UK.... that is made of this chalk

Edited by toren