Tiny Skull

Jstarkey73

• New Members

post-12350-0-27682100-1372524367_thumb.jpgpost-12350-0-70734500-1372524212_thumb.jpgpost-12350-0-37483400-1372523949_thumb.jpgFound this today on my farm in our lane...anyone have any ideas?

post-12350-0-22061400-1372485942_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jstarkey73

Looks like a bivalve ( shell), can also see other marine imprints on there. Nice. And welcome to the forum.

Possibly a Rastellum ("denture clam")?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

looks more like a crinoid stem section broken in half to me... :zzzzscratchchin:

looks more like a crinoid stem section broken in half to me... :zzzzscratchchin:

Another good possibility.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Lets get a few different angles on it ...

...and determine the likely age of the rock.

• New Members

Trying to figure out how to attach another pic...was easy when I started this with my phone.

Edited by Jstarkey73

Where in the mid-west is your farm? We can probably narrow-down the choices if we can identify the likely geologic age.

• New Members

I'm located in central Illinois, north of Champaign...this would have came from a rock cory in Dillsburg, IL or Fairmount, IL

I'm located in central Illinois, north of Champaign...this would have came from a rock cory in Dillsburg, IL or Fairmount, IL

OK, it was deposited by the glaciers, and is most likely from sediments way too old to contain 'denture clams'; crinoid stem appears to be much more likely.

• New Members

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to give me this info!! Still kinda looks like a cool Pet Rock w/teeth :)

Sure is an interesting piece at any rate. There appears to be even a bit of agate between the "teeth".

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looking a bit harder I see the fossil is cylindrical, so I don't think brachiopod fits. Crinoid stem seems to be the best bet.