Bone Ident: T. Rex?

Jbminky

Any help identifying this bone would be appreciated. It is around 6 inches wide at the widest point. Is said to be Tyrannosaurus rex leg bone. post-12066-0-98801400-1374012322_thumb.jpgpost-12066-0-50980700-1374012368_thumb.jpg

We have a few members who, as paleontologists, handle this kind of material all the time; if there is some structural feature that can diagnose it as a T. rex bone, they will be able to weigh in authoritatively. I'm going to edit the topic title to help get their attention.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Picture is too fuzzy.

There is no scale.

Anyone who claims to be able to id a fragment of bone like this to a particular genus and species is a charlatan, unless they broke it off a complete or otherwise identifiable element.

• I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I was agreeing with Rich, but the last bit abuot it being found with other t rex bones makes it safe to say "likely t rex". The internal pattern is interesting, but I have seen that in other large dinosaur bones. Unless of course there were bones of other big animals nearby or int he layer...

Edited by jpc

Thanks JPC. 65 million years bound to create some uncertainty but I guess I can call it a probable(?) Led to believe that the internal structure more indicative of a therapod.

A similar sort of internal structure is typical of rex verytebrae, but it is still a bit different. And I don't think the insides of leg bones have that texture. The outside texture and shape doesn't look to vertebral.

• I found this Informative 1

jpc finds and prepares dinosaurs for a living (including T. rex) for Casper College's Tate Museum, so he knows whereof he speaks. :)

It sounds like there is nothing absolutely diagnostic in the structure of this fragment. If it was found in association with a known specimen, and no other specie's bones were mixed in, that would be your strongest indication.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!