Cephalopod Or Gastropod?

Bev

post-9628-0-06885300-1374110651_thumb.jpg

Ordovician. Galena Formation. SE MN

I am having a devil of a time trying to figure out cephalopods from gastropods. When I see pieces like this, I throw them on the junk pile and write them off to broken gastropods. Actually, I've been throwing them into five gallon pails with other junk fossils to give away for kids sandbox fossil hunts.

It sorta kinda reminds me of a Maclurite, but not. And I've seen them much looser than this one.

Gastro = stomach pod = foot Stomach in foot

Ceph = brain pod = foot Brain in foot

I think I'm learning this right...

OR it could be an infill of a gastropod? Or an infill of a ceph? I'm thinking this example would be an infill of a gastropod...

And then, do YOU see these as "junk" fossils?

So, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE! Thanks for looking. Take a stab at it... I can't be the only one in this boat.

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Too old for a Maclurite, I think you are probably right with a gastropod. Mostly, in the Ordovician and Devonian, if it looks like a snail it probably is a snail, and most will be internal casts. Most, but not all, common O and D cephalopods tend to be straight shelled and segmented, some with slight curves at the end. If it is segmented it is most likely a ceph. Interesting looking piece.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It's not too old for Maclurites, (The Macluritidae ranged from Lower Ordovician to Devonian) but I don't think it looks quite right for Maclurites, although it could be an internal cast.

Gastropod is my vote, anyway.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's not too old for Maclurites, (The Macluritidae ranged from Lower Ordovician to Devonian) but I don't think it looks quite right for Maclurites, although it could be an internal cast.

Regards,

You are correct, my bad. I was thinking of a Cretaceous specimen that looks similar. We do not have (Maclurites) in the Ord. in my area. Or at least I have never found one or seen one found by anyone.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It is a Maclurites gastropod. Coiled nautaloid cephalopods are quite uncommon in SE Minnesota, but they do exist and will be segmented.

Thanks Caleb, an infill?

FYI guys, I find Maclurites all the time! They are like the Fillmore County Fossil. Everyone has at least one in their rock gardens and usually a few cephalopods too. I have like a 5 gallon bucket of them. And my avatar is a Mac. :)

So, do you guys see these broken pieces as having any value?

Bev :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

All of the Maclurites I have collected out of the Galena Formation have been internal molds. The shell material is rarely preserved but I have heard of some cases. I believe this species is Maclurites crassus.

Regards,

I think the reason it looks different is that it's completely free of matrix. Here are a couple specimens of Maclurites crassus I had at MAPS.

post-3840-0-47432600-1374118926_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Wow, I wasn't even aware that there were different types of Macs!

The more I learn the less I know.... :blink:

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

The more I learn the less I know.... :blink:

Same here Bev! (Hence my signature line :) )

That is one cool looking snail by the way and I think saving your discards for sandbox fossils is a great idea. We do the same thing here with discard ferns and cyperites. I might steal your sand box idea too, that sounds like a lot of fun.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Your capacity for learning is greatly enhanced by your willingness to ask these questions. When you do it also teaches us all something, so keep 'em coming :)

I think the interpretation used for the term cephalopod is "head" rather than "brain". Maybe that makes a little more sense. Also when we use the term "infill" it's usually for a burrow hole. The fossils of snails ( and other shelled creatures) without the shells are called internal molds in paleo textbooks however some call them internal casts.