Pennsylvanian Period Unknown

Roz

At first I assumed it was a shell but looking through my loupe I no longer think so..

It might be something that a lot of you find but it's a first for me.. It is not inside a

nodule.. I sure hope someone will recognize it..

Thanks

post-13-0-49467900-1374792991_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-30965500-1374793030_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-77119200-1374793049_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-86986800-1374793073_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-65310200-1374793282_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Nice Roz but geesh.... I want to say coral but that is the most recent search of mine. Very nice and I like it! Horn coral? Probably not... :)

Is it not within a concretion? Or is it not associated with a concretion at all?

What kind of fossils is it associated with?

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Hi Lissa

I find a ton of horn coral and sure it's not.. I don't see it being coral at all. Now you watch,

it'll turn out to be coral since I said that! :D:P

Welcome to the forum!

I would guess it's sections of a productid brachiopod.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Check!

This is what it appears to be to me as well.

Roz, maybe you can go with my hunting bud (Lady from Dallas) and myself sometime.

I only found four trilobites this past weekend.

Jess B.

Edited by bone2stone

Roz,

I vote for brach shell impressions also. That's a hunk a hematite, isn't it? About every thousandth hunk a hematite will have fossil. I have found one discreet brachiopod fossil in hematite.

Impression from a rostoconch. This only occurred to be because I found my first one today. A big thanks to Fowells for showing me around Lake Bridgeport today. I believe he found one too. There's no sunlight for a picture now but compare it to the rostoconch Lance has on his site.

Small things throw me off, the color on this one and the flatness.. I have found

some of those before.. Yes, I believe that is what it is. I hope you post yours..

I really love those..

Welcome to the forum!

Impression from a rostoconch. This only occurred to be because I found my first one today. A big thanks to Fowells for showing me around Lake Bridgeport today. I believe he found one too. There's no sunlight for a picture now but compare it to the rostoconch Lance has on his site.

I'll go with Bob's rostroconch (Apotocardium) id instead of a brachiopod as I first stated.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Check!

This is what it appears to be to me as well.

Roz, maybe you can go with my hunting bud (Lady from Dallas) and myself sometime.

I only found four trilobites this past weekend.

Jess B.

Thanks, Jess.. That's very generous of you..

Welcome to the forum!

Roz,

I vote for brach shell impressions also. That's a hunk a hematite, isn't it? About every thousandth hunk a hematite will have fossil. I have found one discreet brachiopod fossil in hematite.

After closely inspecting it and asking someone, I think it is a mud rock..

Welcome to the forum!

What the pattern represents ... I don't know any more
than those who have posted suggested possibilities.

It does have a general Slickenside appearance.
However, the uniform ribbing features leads me to believe
the specimen is not a just a mud rock.

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

What the pattern represents ... I don't know any more

than those who have posted suggested possibilities.

It does have a general Slickenside appearance.

However, the uniform ribbing features leads me to believe

the specimen is not a just a mud rock.

Well I agree that it's a fossil but I was commenting on the rock itself. I do not know

my rocks at all but I don't think the rock itself looks like hematite to me anyway.

Welcome to the forum!

Could it be a piece of gastropod shell with ribbing and growth lines? Your close-up photo is so good, I thought it was bigger than it is. :)

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

That is also a possibility.. Thanks for the compliment on the images.. I would probably step on and not see

a large fossil, I seem destined to find only tiny creatures but it sure is easier to have my collection not take

up much room. Actually the tiny fossils are my favorites.. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Well I agree that it's a fossil but I was commenting on the rock itself. I do not know

my rocks at all but I don't think the rock itself looks like hematite to me anyway.

Roz,

Pretty sure it's hematite. If you heft it, it will be much heavier by volume than the other types of nodules because of the iron content. The oily sheen and black with red color are also indicators and, as you mention, the hematite is a lot harder than the other types of Bridgeport nodules. Since you are the main maven of the Pennsylvanian fossil bearing nodules, I've been waiting for you to post a nice fossil in hematite and now you have.

My take on the Bridgeport fossil bearing nodules is that they fall into three main types: 1. The orange/red limonitic nodules that tell me I should stop and look. The fossil on these is usually on or pressed into the surface.; 2. The black/gray phosphate nodules that are relatively small and can contain such a variety of fossil material in them and; 3. Hematite nodules which are mixed in with the other two types but are also found in shoals where the other types are absent.

As I mentioned before, it seems like you have to look at a thousand pieces of hematite before you find one with a fossil. I've found a couple of dozen, but I haven't photographed them and my photo-skills don't do them justice. I found the attached on a stretch of beach where they are being exposed by wave action and no other fossil material was there. Also pictured are some pieces of hematite with the characteristic bumps and circles that make it hard for me not to pick them up.

post-1901-0-23114300-1375662936_thumb.jpgpost-1901-0-16011800-1375663589_thumb.jpg

I agree that I was mistaken.. Yes, looking at your images and some online, I see

mine is hematite. Thanks! :) I had my mind stuck with the visual of hematite

that is often used in jewelry (silver/black variety).

The ones with the bumps are really common in the Pawpaw Formation or maybe

it's Eagleford. I just can't recall which one but the formation is sure loaded

with them.

Welcome to the forum!

Good eye, Bob. I think you're right.

I agree that I was mistaken.. Yes, looking at your images and some online, I see

mine is hematite. Thanks! :) I had my mind stuck with the visual of hematite

that is often used in jewelry (silver/black variety).

The ones with the bumps are really common in the Pawpaw Formation or maybe

it's Eagleford. I just can't recall which one but the formation is sure loaded

with them.

Thanks Roz. Actually some of the hematite here is pure enough to cut and polish, if I was still cutting and polishing.

If you look at page #17,fig 2-11 of "Penn. Fossils of N.Texas," you will find a virtual match to your fossil. "Apotocardium sp."

I looked at a few I had found when Bob mentioned it and that's what

it is.. I had forgotten it was in the book though so thanks, Herb.. It's a nice

example they show and I think Bob posted a nice one he found recently.

They are beautiful fossils. :)

Welcome to the forum!