Equus?

Shellseeker

Missing tip but likely a horse incisor or maybe tapir. What remains is in great shape. I do not recall the longitudinal line on the other horse incisors -- did I miss it?

post-2220-0-04890000-1376962527_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-73376500-1376962549_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-30868600-1376962567_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-80250000-1376962587_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I just checked all of mine and each has a similar "groove" or longitudinal depression (to varying degrees) which gets deeper the farther you are from the root.

Thanks for looking, Sacha,

Curious. If I position the tooth correctly as an equus incisor. the groove is on the left side of this tooth... hmmm. I suppose there is a cause/reason for it but whatever it is, not clear to me.

I did get out -- manage to scrape the very top of gravel, but it just felt good to be standing in the river again. Not exactly something I would recommend yet to the casual fossil hunter. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I almost went to the Santa Fe this last week. It almost got diggable, but started to rise again just before it got there. I'll be completely out of shape if we don't get out soon.

I was going to ask you if you ever tried using very fine screens to look for "micro-fossils" like allot of the guys in this forum. I've used 1/4" screen, but it's just a pain and slows you down, but I've always looked just for the big stuff. I'm thinking about window screen and bringing a bucket of sand, or that bluewhite clay back home and processing it with magnification. Maybe that's what we should do in the summer.......screen for little stuff using material we've put away during normal low water times.

With that strongly triangular cross-section, I'd check peccary.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I almost went to the Santa Fe this last week. It almost got diggable, but started to rise again just before it got there. I'll be completely out of shape if we don't get out soon.

I was going to ask you if you ever tried using very fine screens to look for "micro-fossils" like allot of the guys in this forum. I've used 1/4" screen, but it's just a pain and slows you down, but I've always looked just for the big stuff. I'm thinking about window screen and bringing a bucket of sand, or that bluewhite clay back home and processing it with magnification. Maybe that's what we should do in the summer.......screen for little stuff using material we've put away during normal low water times.

The depth is almost OK at a number of locations, BUT the flow is too fast. I can not maintain my footing in 4-5 feet of water at 150-160 cfps flow!!! Like you, I need to get out there and kayak and dig, else my muscle tone goes to zero.

Not a bad idea -- micro_fossils from material collected in season. The problem I have is that I never see any micro_fossils even when hunting pea gravel. My rule of thumb on screen size.

If I am finding lots of fossils over an inch, then use a 1/2 or 3/4 inch screen knowing I will lose a lot of smaller stuff, but also knowing that I will screen LOTS more gravel over 7-8 hours.

If I am not finding impressive large fossils (Makos, Megs, Sloth teeth/claws, etc) switch back to 1/4 inch screens. SS

With that strongly triangular cross-section, I'd check peccary.

Rich

Thanks to RIch and jpevahouse. I have seen a number of equus incisors and although this looks similar, I had/have a nagging feeling that it is something else. It is hard that the occusal surface is missing.

Differences from Equus -- the texture of the enamel seems different and as you point out, this perfect triangular shape is also different from a labial half moon surface that I am used to seeing.

I will continue searching the net and also take this one to some local experts to discuss equus, peccary, or tapir... SS