Is This A Plant?

RojoViejo

I told an associate about Fossil Forum and he brought this to me this morning. Not sure where he found it, somewhere out here in West Texas. He said he was collecting petrified wood and this was in the same area. It looks plant like to me but I would appreciate your opinions.

Is it a plant? Any ideas about the age? What is the center that seems to be somewhat conical in shape. And, I noticed a brown coloration on both the "top" and "bottom" that generally conforms to the shape of the sample.

What can I tell him about it?

Thanks.

post-13215-0-39931700-1380304284_thumb.jpg

post-13215-0-15174400-1380304344_thumb.jpg

post-13215-0-74762200-1380304345_thumb.jpg

post-13215-0-11026900-1380304373_thumb.jpg

Hi Rojoviejo, I'm thinking its not a plant and would wait for the bevy of Texas forum folks who may have some local insight. They might also be able to speak to possible general ages.

My initial thoughts were that it also might be a concretion that is weathering out of a rock but I'm going to go with just a weathered rock, maybe spheroidal weathering of some jointed/fractured rock type. The water/elements have been able to slowly attack the outside exposed areas/cracks first causing that "outer rind or concentric layering" look. Cool specimen!

Regards, Chris

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Chris, I will wait and hopefully someone from Texas will give it a look and have an opinion.

It is kind of cool. I hate to give it back.