Dinosaur Vertebrae Hell Creek, Hadrosaur, Tyrannosaurus?

rylawz

Just got another steal on ebay. Was misspelled and had blurry pictures, thank goodness I have a good eye. I even think it has feeding marks. It said it was from the hell creek formation.

post-11956-0-87437600-1381110492_thumb.jpg

Post your Proboscidea!!!!!

From the angle of the photos it appears to be a post sacral vertebra centrum. A hadrosaur. Quite large which would fit this in from being from the latest Maastrichtian Hell Creek Formation....Edmontosaurus.

No, that's not a predation mark. It's a mark left by something preserved next to the vertebra like plant material or an ossified tendon. This is a common feature of vertebra of this age but not of those from the earlier Campanian.

Anyways, the large size and type of preservation fits with Edmontosaurus, Hell Creek.

These are not rare but certainly less common than caudals. (Makes sense since the Dino had a lot less of them)

From the angle of the photos it appears to be a post sacral vertebra centrum. A hadrosaur. Quite large which would fit this in from being from the latest Maastrichtian Hell Creek Formation....Edmontosaurus.

No, that's not a predation mark. It's a mark left by something preserved next to the vertebra like plant material or an ossified tendon. This is a common feature of vertebra of this age but not of those from the earlier Campanian.

Anyways, the large size and type of preservation fits with Edmontosaurus, Hell Creek.

These are not rare but certainly less common than caudals. (Makes sense since the Dino had a lot less of them)

Thanks, I had a hunch it was Hadrosaur. Also I always hear people say that about Hadrosaur fossils but common is a relative term, I am not that aware of the dino market as I am with Proboscidea. I assume these are probably as scarce as a "common" north sea mammoth tooth but those are sometimes the the center or a major piece of a decent collection. Get back to me on that I am very curious because I really am in the dark on fossils like these. Now megalodon teeth are common in the general sense but still very cool.

Post your Proboscidea!!!!!

Hadrosaur material in the Hell Creek is generally more collected and less coveted than other type of species. Having said that any dinosaur material is cool and difficult to find to the average person. The localities are typically remote and access is not always available. Having collected a bit in the Hell Creek I would not use the word common with any dinosaur fossil. Enjoy your centrum.