Id Help

RDCH

Pick these two a number of years ago.First is from a gravel pit outside of Woodstock,on. Second from a freshly dug drainage ditch by bog line outside of Parkhill,onpost-14186-0-92798100-1389141863_thumb.jpgpost-14186-0-69667500-1389141931_thumb.jpgpost-14186-0-81401700-1389141978_thumb.jpg

they all appear to be corals. The 1st 2 look like Favosites. Can't tell for sure on the 3rd one.

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Agreed - first two are beautiful Favosite coral specimens (Favosite is also called "Honeycomb Coral", for obvious reasons). The third one is a bit of a puzzle. I'm thinking either Syringopora ("Pipe Organ Coral"), or possibly even a colony of bryozoans. But Syringopora looks a bit closer (although those are larger segments than I've ever seen for Syringopora in Southern Ontario). The material in Woodstock and Park Hill is all glacial till - material picked up by glaciers as they advanced across the landscape, and left behind as they melted back - so it really could have come from anywhere between Southern Ontario and Labrador/Greenland. But these look like Silurian Favosites I typically find on the Niagara Escarpment which is exposed just about 100 km to the east of Woodstock.

Thank you both for your responses the first two pics are just different angle.I was kinda thinking Syringopora to looking at other examples in the fourm.

It's a good guess. :)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks