An Interesting Turtle Shell With Possible Bite Marks

-Andy-

Hi all, I recently acquired a very nice turtle fossil (Anosteira maomingensis) from a local shop.

post-4888-0-62802500-1393068300_thumb.jpg

Upon closely examining this fossil, I realized it has more to it than meets the eye, and I highlighted several spots that I would like verification on from you guys.

post-4888-0-74851300-1393068306_thumb.jpg

Are those what I think it is? Two possible bite marks, a honeycomb structure under its shell, and its possible skull or bone material?

More close-up pictures below.

Edited by -Andy-

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

post-4888-0-48974100-1393068502_thumb.jpg

These two holes do not look or feel as if they are man-made.

They are several millimeters in depth, and feel identical. Could it be a sign of a failed predation bite on the shell?

post-4888-0-27444600-1393068507_thumb.jpg

This piece here does not look or feel like the shell on the rest of the body. Could it be a bone, or even its skull fragment?

post-4888-0-25817000-1393068512_thumb.jpg

Some parts of the fossil broke off during the excavation process probably. Interestingly it looks like there is a honeycomb structure below. I am aware that some dinosaur fossils were found with a honeycomb structure within their bones, would it be the same for this turtle?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Nice turtle! If those are bite marks whoever left them was pretty small. The honeycomb is the interior structure of the bone in areas where the shell has been eroded away. That might be bone. I wonder if it could be cleaned up a little in that area.

mikey

• I found this Informative 1

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

The holes could indeed be bite marks - hard to tell from the photographs for sure. If they are bite marks from some sort of crocodilian, then they were "incidental", didn't penetrate very far or do much damage.

The "bone" is a misplaced peripheral bone from the turtle - you can see one of the scute sulci perpendicular to the rim of the bone.

The "spongy bone" is the internal structure of the shell, most visible where the outer layer of compact lamellar bone has broken away.

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Crocodiles have more then two teeth and leaving only two punctures evenly spaced from another seems unlikely. If they are bite marks then maybe something with canines. A playful, young Creodont may be the culprit. :)

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Two punctures can only be evenly spaced...........

And it would well be just an exploratory mouthing.

Rich

Fantastic analysis guys. Thank you so much.

The holes could indeed be bite marks - hard to tell from the photographs for sure. If they are bite marks from some sort of crocodilian, then they were "incidental", didn't penetrate very far or do much damage.

The "bone" is a misplaced peripheral bone from the turtle - you can see one of the scute sulci perpendicular to the rim of the bone.

The "spongy bone" is the internal structure of the shell, most visible where the outer layer of compact lamellar bone has broken away.

Rich

Hi Rich, I am still slightly confused about the "bone". Which part of the turtle does the peripheral bone come from?

The edge of the upper shell, or carapace. It has broken off and been displaced under the edge of the shell.