Repairs

wolfman

Hello all! I need some suggestions on repairing a concretion before its prepared. ie pieces that have broken off the concretion that contain parts of the fossil. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of fossil is that?

I suggest crazy glue too - there are other things but crazy glue is probably what you already have or can get easiest. But it dries very quickly so you have to be ready. Diluted WeldBond white glue dries slower and doesn't bond instantly to your fingers.

The trick is to make sure nothing is impeding a tight fit (looks like the fit isn't tight - is that the case? or you just reassembled roughly for the pic?), and make sure the pieces all go back in the right order otherwise you'll end up with a piece or two that you can't get into place... I can't count how many times I've done that! It's like a Chinese puzzle sometimes. That's where it helps to have a reversible glue, or else you have to do some carving/prepping to get that last piece(s) into place.

And of course, if you can, keep the glue away from the fossil surface that you want to expose later ;)

Is there a crab in that concretion?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!