Anyone Else Like Chert?

huskeriowa

Hi all,

First warm hunt of the year. I don't know if anyone else likes impressions left in chert, but I do. Also found some decent superior agates, some small pieces of coral and a two ok artifacts. Nice to be out again!!!

post-14400-0-13692700-1394489784_thumb.jpg

post-14400-0-07483700-1394489806_thumb.jpg

post-14400-0-12319000-1394489819_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Chert is my favorite :) The NY chert is pretty plain, muddy colors, not like some states where it is colorful and druzy, with vugs, but sometimes there are nice pieces...

post-4577-0-93711000-1394491996_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-74247500-1394491999_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-89076600-1394492002_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Those are cool xonenine! I used to travel NY years ago and wish I would have had more of an interest in fossils during that time. Somehow pubs and rejection took precedence:). Any idea what the first picture and third are of specifically? I thought the third was the base of crinoids but the more I look the more I am not sure. Thanks

Looks like you have quite a few brachiopods in the first one! I really like it. 3rd I'm guessing coral. :)

Those are cool xonenine! I used to travel NY years ago and wish I would have had more of an interest in fossils during that time. Somehow pubs and rejection took precedence:). Any idea what the first picture and third are of specifically? I thought the third was the base of crinoids but the more I look the more I am not sure. Thanks

thanks husker :) I'd say Lissa already got it right

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Hi, Huskeriowa:

Yeah, I also like flint/chert. Sometimes, with flint, you can see the features of a fossil real well. Could the the one in the middle be an ammonite? I collect chert nodule fossils down in central Texas but, I haven't found any ammonites, so far. In my experience, some flint fossils are imprints and, some are, simply, part of the chert/flint diagenetic process--that is, the fossil has changed chemistry: the original form is still there but, its molecules have been replaced with, mainly, silica dioxide--ie, chert/flint. Using a magnifying glass, you can usually tell whether it is an imprint or, a replacement situation.

You have some nice ones there.

Mike Olive

I make it a rule in my fossil collection that nothing gets added that I didn't find myself. No trades or purchases allowed. I also like to extend that practice to material to cut and polish for jewelry, at least to the greatest extent that I can. Chert is a readily available material in Florida and the Southeastern US coastal plain, takes a good polish and in some cases, has good color. Here are some of the pieces I've found, cut and polished.

From the Peace River I've only found 2 nodules in 4 years, both black and grey.

post-12135-0-25574400-1394974004_thumb.jpg

From the Vulcan quarry in West Central Florida, mostly earth tones.

post-12135-0-46006300-1394974084_thumb.jpg

From near Kingston, GA (Thanks to Coralhead) lots of cool variation in color.

post-12135-0-32523300-1394974170_thumb.jpg

And from Girard, GA (again thanks to Coralhead) the well known "Savannah River Agate".

post-12135-0-35883300-1394974245_thumb.jpg

None of these is very fossiliferous, but they provide additional options when rivers are high and I appreciate the reward of a self found piece.

Edited by Sacha