Ammonite Restoration

RJB

I was a bit scared to attack this and its been sittin around for quite awhile, but today I decided to go on the 'fix it and sculpt it attack'. This took about 2 hours or so, and im not quite happy with it, but I got to the point were I had to put it aside and will attack it some more later with some new eyes and new attitude. its not bad, but its not right.

RB

post-171-0-61423400-1394492366_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-13742000-1394492386_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-01989900-1394492388_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me!!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks guys. The thing that really scares me is painting the repair. I don't belive Im going to even try.

RB

nice. let's talk technique. do you build it up oversize, let it cure, then file it to net shape, or instead try to net shape it during the work time of the putty? we novices need to know!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

tools... i'd like to know what tools you use, and how.

Grüße,

I would maybe try a watered down acrylic brown and do a thin wash on it. By watering it down the pigment will seep into the cracks and details but the higher parts will stay a lighter color to highlight them and give that semi-worn look of 200 million old fossils.

And if you dont like it acrylics can be washed off easily with water. Hopefully this will work.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Also, im a professional artist for a living and i could paint this for you for free. But judging from your sculpting skills i have faith that you can do it.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

~Charlie~

Hey Dan. I did put on plenty of a 2 part putty and then sand it down using a barrel sander with my foredom, but only to the point of keeping enough material so that I can put those 'bumps' on it and then take it down some more to get those 'ridges' all along keeping those dang bumps. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be, but with enough time and patience it can be doen. In fact, if your interested mr. Dan, I may have a project for you? Oh, I will have to get a picture of the little tool I mostly use to get those ridges.

Hey Fossilized, thanks for the tip, but im still scared.

RB

Here is a pic of the little tool tip I use on my foredom to get those 'ridges'.

RB

post-171-0-61690600-1394580948_thumb.jpg

Very cool. I wonder if I'd have a steady enough hand to pull off what you did, Ron. So far I've made a habit of choosing ammos with minimal surface ornamentation for restoration, as easy jobs make up for lack of skill.

Grüße,

Hey Dan, I have a feeling that your being modest.

Great work RJB.

Yes looks like a tricky item to paint. Is there iridescence on part of the shell?

Painting at least the basic colour and maybe dry brushing a lighter shade might work?

I used to paint miniatures and I would use a "dry brush technique" to pick up highlights. Model makers use this to give model planes etc. a real life aged look. You start off with a darker shade and then dry brush with a lighter shade.

Here's a "how-to" video on dry brushing for models if you are interested.

A most helpful bunch of folks here in the fossil forum. Thanks guys

RB