Looks Like A Rose?

MarqusandDad

I was out on a little walk this morning as the clouds are finally gone. I found this in a pile of limestone being used to prep a new driveway so determining location is not possible. Any help with it will be appreciated, thank you. I am in Wisconsin southeast section and this is most likely from a local quarry. Is this something that would benefit from some prep work as I am just starting to practice.

post-15006-0-97784400-1399132592_thumb.jpg

That certainly is an unusual specimen.....i'll take a shot in the dark and say perhaps fossil algae.(?)

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

I think the rock was accreted in layers, was water-tumbled, and chipped to show the alternating layers.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's a Cretaceous specimen i have thought "might" be fossil algae, but i guess i could very well be wrong about that.

post-14571-0-21071500-1399134165_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-64502800-1399134223_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Here's a low quality pic of fossil algae from the net, it was about like something i was thinking of,but like i say, i'm not sure if either of our specimens are infact fossil algae. :)

post-14571-0-98241300-1399135611.jpeg

--- Joshua

Thats darn close so for now I will go with Fossil Algae. I looked with my loupe and the layers are all around so it is not incased in matrix but rather well worn down. I am going out some more in a little while and hope to have some other things to show. Still looking for a trilobit in matrix I can practice prepping. Wish us luck.... Oh my son Marqus said you are about it being algae he said it so emphatically I had to laugh.

It looks like a piece of sandstone with liesegang patterns.

Agreed.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thats darn close so for now I will go with Fossil Algae. I looked with my loupe and the layers are all around so it is not incased in matrix but rather well worn down. I am going out some more in a little while and hope to have some other things to show. Still looking for a trilobit in matrix I can practice prepping. Wish us luck.... Oh my son Marqus said you are about it being algae he said it so emphatically I had to laugh.

Good luck sir, ya'll have a great time and an outstanding hunt. :)

--- Joshua

Are liesegang patterns common in limestone?

Yes. Especially if there is a lot of iron in the groundwater.

Here is a close up showing that the lines are interconnected without clear unbroken circles.

post-15006-0-40701700-1399136955_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up showing that the lines are interconnected without clear unbroken circles.

attachicon.gifIMG_1702.JPG

I'm still seeing somwhat of a semblance to fossil algae, but just can't be sure....lets see what the other's say. Tethys is pretty smart on botanicals, so i'm not sure i would favor my opinion over hers. :)

--- Joshua

I sectioned this front and back about 1/8th inch off the front and about 1/4 inch off the back just to see if the pattern continued all the way through the sample. And as you can see it is different.

post-15006-0-26193100-1399139888_thumb.jpg

post-15006-0-91673000-1399139896_thumb.jpg

I sectioned this front and back about 1/8th inch off the front and about 1/4 inch off the back just to see if the pattern continued all the way through the sample. And as you can see it is different.

attachicon.gif1.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1703.JPG

Sir, now that i can see better detail, i think i should go w/ Tethys on this one.

--- Joshua

Yep me to but it is still cool looking and will be the start of my pseudo fossil collection.

Agree it's mineralogical. Those are dendrites in the final picture... a common depositional pattern for iron or manganese oxides in limestone when percolating groundwater is rich in either of those minerals.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]