Short Trip

Cris

It's been a long time since I've been able to get out and do some hunting and even longer since I've posted a trip report and shown off some fossils....So, here ya go! :P

I decided at about 5PM today that I was going to get out and try to spend an hour or so in the water before it got dark. The rivers around here are still flooded, including this place, so it was a very dark even with a dive light. I still managed to find some cool things in an area that has been recently exposed. Here it is:

post-1553-0-86640100-1403835411_thumb.jp
Group pic of all the stuff.

post-1553-0-04407100-1403835425_thumb.jp post-1553-0-44401400-1403835445_thumb.jp
Manatee molars (Trichechus manatus).

post-1553-0-47540800-1403835432_thumb.jp post-1553-0-08029100-1403835439_thumb.jp
A couple horse teeth.

That was pretty much it, but considering it wasn't a planned trip and I only had a short time before it got dark, I was pretty happy.

-Cris

• I found this Informative 1

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Your fossil to minute ratio looks pretty high, too. Great colors on those teeth.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'd be happy with that haul, excellent stuff Cris. The horse teeth are very nice.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

You did all that in an hour??!! You must have the good spot all to yourself.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Almost unbelievable -- such a haul in so short a time. Assume that this was scuba in deeper holes with a pretty strong light. The Peace River is muddy and opaque. I know because I was there today. Love those manatee (not dugong?) teeth. Either is a rare find in the Peace..

You should get out more often, with rewards like these.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

very cool. i wish texas had similar scuba venues.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I love those Manatee molars!! Beautiful!

Good stuff.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Great finds Cris, I too like the manatee teeth. Those are still on my list and the color on that brown horse tooth is really nice, Congrats!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Almost unbelievable -- such a haul in so short a time. Assume that this was scuba in deeper holes with a pretty strong light. The Peace River is muddy and opaque. I know because I was there today. Love those manatee (not dugong?) teeth. Either is a rare find in the Peace..

You should get out more often, with rewards like these.

I definitely had to have a dive light because of the water levels, but it isn't a deep site...It's about 4 feet deep and maybe a 40'x15' area on the bottom. We snorkeled this site a little last year, but that's a pain in the butt at this depth...a tank makes it much easier and it seems to last forever.

Thanks for the report Cris!

Great finds, :)

Glad you were able to get out for a bit.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice Cris, what's the jaw from?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

It's a whitetail deer (Odocoileus virginianus) lower jaw section.

Wow! Look at all those goodies. You are so lucky to have such a good spot to hunt in. :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Cool teeth. Are the manatee molars always that shallow or were the roots broken off them?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Nice haul Cris! Glad to see you're out collecting again after the stress you've gone through here recently.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/