netxitpro

Have some teeth I found in the North Sulphur River in Texas. I assume they are Mosasaur, The large one is split in half, and a good view of the inside. Looks different from other Mosasaur teeth I found. Also showing some tips of Mosasaur teeth. Also a pic of a nice shark tooth. Would like to know if anyone has an ideal of the type shark, and if the large split tooth is from a Mosasaur.

post-16475-0-06885700-1410552206_thumb.jpg

post-16475-0-17134800-1410552284_thumb.jpg

post-16475-0-75022500-1410552293_thumb.jpg

post-16475-0-55917300-1410552304_thumb.jpg

The shark tooth appears to be Scapanorynchus texanus, Goblin shark. Someone like Non-Remanie will definitely be able to help with the other fossils.

Seems sand sharks and goblin sharks have simular teeth. Thanks for the input. Still would

Like to id the large tooth, Masasaur?

...Like to id the large tooth, Masasaur?

I think it is.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I believe it's a Sand Shark. Goblin shark teeth have side cusps. But im no expert.

Cool stuff!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

The shark tooth is water worn making the ID difficult. I would expect to see some striations on the crown even on a water worn Scapanorhynchus "Goblin" tooth since they are very pronounced but cannot see any. Tiny side cusps may be present on anterior teeth. I would lean toward this being a Carcharias sp. "Sand Tiger Sark". Anterior teeth do contain tiny cusplets but again they are worn away, a wider crown at the base and much lighter striations than Goblins which would not be visible on worn teeth. Other opinions are welcomed. The other teeth as Auspex indicated are Mosasaur.

Not all Scapanorynchus teeth have cusps, especially the anterior teeth. Whether it's from being worn or not being present from the outset, I don't know. The laterals seem to always have cusps unless it's a beat up tooth. The level of striations also vary from tooth to tooth, we have a fair number of Goblins from here in NJ and they show a large amount of variation as to both presence of cusps to lingual striations. The tooth that Netxitpro found also seems a bit large for a cretaceous sand tiger, I have never personally seen one as large as the tooth in the picture.

Not all Scapanorynchus teeth have cusps, especially the anterior teeth. Whether it's from being worn or not being present from the outset, I don't know. The laterals seem to always have cusps unless it's a beat up tooth. The level of striations also vary from tooth to tooth, we have a fair number of Goblins from here in NJ and they show a large amount of variation as to both presence of cusps to lingual striations. The tooth that Netxitpro found also seems a bit large for a cretaceous sand tiger, I have never personally seen one as large as the tooth in the picture.

You are correct Anterior Scapanorynchus may or may not have cusps and laterals always do. As far as size, Carcharias can get to 20mm while the Goblins can be double that. So I was guessing this one was closer to the 20 than the 40 but if that's not correct its a Scapanorynchus.