A Piece Of Goliath

TyrannosaurusRex

I received this as a gift yesterday and thought y'all might like it. It's the largest piece of Tyrannosaurus Rex bone I had ever seen for sale. It is from the tyrannosaur named Goliath.

From Montana:

post-13624-0-27007400-1415064521_thumb.jpg

Anyway leave a comment if you liked it please.

Thanks.

Wow! That really raises the old pulse rate!

Congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow! That really raises the old pulse rate!

Congratulations!

yes sir it does! I had to go look at it this morning to reassure myself it wasn't actually a dream that I got it. :)

A piece of T. rex bone is on my wanted list as well, but it is hard to find one that is actually identifiable (honeycomb structure, thick outer layer, etc).

I am not sure whether this is real or I'm dreaming either, and I'm not even the one who has this piece.

Very Impressive !!! There is a story that goes with a TRex named Sue.. Is there a similar story for Goliath?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

A piece of T. rex bone is on my wanted list as well, but it is hard to find one that is actually identifiable (honeycomb structure, thick outer layer, etc).

I am not sure whether this is real or I'm dreaming either, and I'm not even the one who has this piece.

Oh I assure you it is real. But yes It is next to impossible to get a real piece of a T. rex.

Very Impressive !!! There is a story that goes with a TRex named Sue.. Is there a similar story for Goliath?

An internet search isn't helping me but I know he was found around in Montana around 2001. He was a VERY large dino boasting 7 inch teeth. He wasn't fully complete but the man this was from said that he managed to buy most of Goliath from the person who found him. As soon as the teeth were put up for sale some doctor came up and purchased every single one. At a $1000 dollars an inch. He sold the rest of the bones quickly as well but kept one to show to kids at schools. The guy the bone is from gave me(for free!) a fossilized conifer cone from the same quarry that Goliath is from. As of now that is all I know but I shall try to find out more!

Thanks for all the replies!

Edited for misspelling

Edited by TyrannosaurusRex

Very nice specimen with a great piece of history behind the find! Obviously it was not you or your decision, and I don't want to dampen the mood, but I am saddened that the remarkable remains of Goliath were split up and no longer remain together. Brilliant acquisition none the less.

I agree with Kosmos.. it is sad that this so called Goliath has been parted out. It should all remain together, in this writer's opinion.

Any time I see a chunk of femur, I want to slice it for histology and find out how many years old it was...

Any time I see a chunk of femur, I want to slice it for histology and find out how many years old it was...

yes it would be interesting to know wouldn't it?