2 Devonian Unknowns

collector

Hi, I have these two unknowns that I can't place as fossils but I can't quite bring myself to discard either so I am hoping you can help me. They are similar because they both are two matrices stuck together. They were found in the same area at different times. The larger is 3 inches by 1 inch and the smaller is 1-1/2 by 1" not including the bases. The larger has some small crinoid pieces on it. The smaller doesn't have any associated fossils on it but in the matrix base has this small 1-2mm 6 armed bit in a hole and the top piece looks like it is wrapped around an "arm" on the base.

Thank you for taking the time to look at these for me. I am sorry about the quality of the micro shot. I couldn't seem to get a good angle. It looks like a mineral flower through the microscope.

Patti

post-13012-0-26826400-1417896500_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-05178800-1417896523_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-76123900-1417896538_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-77118500-1417896556_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-65205700-1417896568_thumb.jpg

I think they look like the remnants of pockets of biologically derived limestone. I find quite a bit of it in Maine. Quite often the fossils are most identifiable where it grades into the more siliclastic surrounding matrix.

I think they look like the remnants of pockets of biologically derived limestone. I find quite a bit of it in Maine. Quite often the fossils are most identifiable where it grades into the more siliclastic surrounding matrix.

Thank you Rockwood. If I understand you right these may be pieces of fossils?

Regards,

Patti

Yes that is my thought. Some of it has degraded too far to be recognizable, some faintly fossilish, and occasionally something that's clear enough to make one believe it was all alive once.

Yes that is my thought. Some of it has degraded too far to be recognizable, some faintly fossilish, and occasionally something that's clear enough to make one believe it was all alive once.

That is basically the feeling I get from them but going through the categories I couldn't figure out what they could be so I had to ask the stupid question. I probably will hang on to them for a while only because I like the way they look. Thank you for the input.

Patti

I am not seeing anything recognizable as a fossil either, sorry.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I am not seeing anything recognizable as a fossil either, sorry.

Thanks for looking Herb. I have learned a lot in the 11/3 years that I have been doing this. A great deal is because of the knowledgeable and patient people on this site as well as aquiring references and looking at collections. I think though that practical experience in just looking at rocks and picking out the fossils from the suggestive chaff is a big part and hopefully I will get there.

Patti