Crinoid Calyx?

collector

Hi all. I am thinking that this fossil is a crinoid calyx. It is 8cm in diameter at widest section of the top, 3cm in diameter at the bottom and 5cm high. It is not complete and a bit careworn. It has a lot of small crinoid fragments scattered over it. I took some photos outside and then scrubbed it some more. It is now raining so I took one indoors. What do you guys think?

Thank you for looking.

Patti

post-13012-0-55282800-1418747984_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-25865200-1418748000_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-67096300-1418748012_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-84792800-1418748019_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-87646900-1418748030_thumb.jpg

I don't get an echinoderm vibe...Maybe sponge?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I can see the bits of crinoid stem sections and even possible arms on the surface in the second photo so whatever this is probably lived (died) near crinoids but the piece doesn't show any details identifying it as a calyx. Sponge is a possibility but I don't know Devonian genera to help with that and details are missing that could verify that. Nice photos though so maybe someone who knows the area fauna will notice something more.

I tried to clean it up a little more and since it kind of stopped raining I went out and took a few more shots. In the 3rd picture above the protrusion towards the top left it looks like there could be plates. That is not to say that I would be unhappy if it turned out to be a sponge. I don't have either so far.

Thanks

Patti

post-13012-0-15144800-1418765393_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-74980500-1418765403_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-25328000-1418765417_thumb.jpg

i'm thinking bryozoan colony

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Not much detail on there but maybe it could be part of the anchor for a Ancyrocrinus? The "stem" sections off the side are a little too pinched though so I could be mistaken. Here is one I found at 18 Mile Creek in NY.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Woulda' been a Boss Hog crinoid: in the picture, it looks to be almost fist sized...

Between that, the lack of any sign of plates, and the undifferentiated interior, I just can't see it as a crinoid.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Could it be some kind of feeding burrow?

post-423-0-75845700-1418837312_thumb.jpg

Thank you to all for the input. I thought that when I posted this that people would say yes that is a calyx and I thought what it lacked in detail and being incomplete it really made up for in size. :-). So much for easy. I did take some micro photos that I thought might help but they didn't come out very well. Maybe I"ll try again.

Patti