Is This Shale

Scottnokes2015

Hi everyone,I'm new to fossil collecting and I live in Chester Illinois. I live by these bluffs and picked up a bunch of chunks of this stuff which I'm not sure what it is,Could it be Shale. These bluffs are besides the Mississippi river. Before I started working on them, I just wanted to make sure it is something that may hide some fossils of which I know shale might. Thanks for any help anyone could guide me.

post-17700-0-09190700-1426126568_thumb.jpg

post-17700-0-40628100-1426126607_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScottNokes

This does seem to be very fragile and easily breaks and flakes

Edited by ScottNokes

To me it looks like a laminated siltish two clayish sedimentary rock. If the stones split along planes of Weakness into thin sheets, it is shale, if not, it's a mudstone.

Ye have found some pretty neat fossils in shale eg this shrimp

post-7084-0-19406900-1426151544_thumb.jpg

Penaeus sp. from the Stolleklint Clay (Denmark), Early eocene "Ypresian"

good hunting

It is certainly a thinly-foliated sedimentary rock; shale being the most likely of several related types.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's splits along the layers and is very fragile. I just dint know if I'll be wasting my time with this stuff, but I thought it was Shale, but I'm a novice, so I dint know

Edited by ScottNokes

Hi everyone, this is one of the bigger pieces.it's one inch thick approximately

post-17700-0-99072700-1426199936_thumb.jpg

post-17700-0-61631900-1426200061_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScottNokes

it looks like a calcareous shale. there are shales with lots of fossils in them, and lots more without fossils. The New Albany shale is a good example in IN,KY,OH, 200-300' feet of almost empty shale. If you find any fossils in your shale there will probably be more. Good hunting!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks