Cretaceous Tx Bone, Turtle,mosasaur?

John S.

I know it's not much but im thinking turtle? Late Cretaceous, Eagle Ford, 85-92 mya. north Texas. Thanks.

post-13580-0-88996100-1428104849_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-19768900-1428104948_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-61216100-1428104987_thumb.jpg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

What does the broken edge look like?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the quick response. It's about 4.5-5 long, .75 inches thick. btw

post-13580-0-80435100-1428106333_thumb.jpg

North Central Texas

I'm not seeing turtle. It looks more bone like to me. From what? I am unsure.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

I don't think its turtle because the inner cell structure is way to tight....Turtles inside cell are much more open. I'm not really sure its any type of marine animal...It might be a terrestrial critter of some kind,,like dino....

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Good grief, that's dense! The two flat surfaces are what show the most grain...I've no idea what it is.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I was just thinking that this bone does have some rather large ligament scars for its bone size this which may indicate that this bone came from a very large critter like a Mosasaur flipper ,,I would guess that the bone you have in hand is only a small piece near the edge of the bone,,, where it would need to be denser and the reason I say this because thats where the ligament would need to attach. to and flipper from a mosasaur need to move a lot of water and body weight,,,,this is just a guess.

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

Thanks that was my other thought. Mosasaur flipper bone. Big one I guess. The turtle frags I find are usually much darker and smooth.

North Central Texas

Thanks that was my other thought. Mosasaur flipper bone. Big one I guess. The turtle frags I find are usually much darker and smooth.

I have a mosasaur humerus from Jersey and even though its whole and very worn,,,and its very heavy and the frac's of other parts of the flipper seems to have dense areas as well,,,but they are from a smaller critter then yours.

Tony