Perfect Pteranodon Bones!

KansasFossilHunter

I've been heavily hunting numerous localities in both Gove and Logan counties. Here is one of those hunts:

April 4th Fossil Hunt

I was finally able (after several years) to gain landowner permission to hunt an exposure of upper Smoky Hill Chalk. The fauna and aspects of preservation are significantly different that those of the lower chalk. After a few hours I came across the familiar light-blueish bones that could only be those of a Pteranodon.

post-6661-0-61430800-1429292020_thumb.jpg

I began to follow the bone back into the rock. Pteranodon bone is some of the most fragile and thin bone to be found in this formation. I tried to keep as much of the bone buried as possible (while trying to discern the extent). This was so the delicate work close to the bone could be done in the lab not in the field with a hammer.

post-6661-0-70897800-1429292190_thumb.jpg

At this point I was unsure wether I wanted to take the specimen out in one block or in a plaster jacket. The chalk seemed reasonably stable. Then, near disaster! Thinking I was a sufficient distance from the main piece I suddenly struck another bone. This was totally unexpected as I thought I was only dealing with a single metacarpal. Luckily, I only grazed the tiniest of fragments from the piece.

Cont..

• I found this Informative 1

Here is the extent of the discovery showing the unexpected bone (on the right side). I later learned this was the scapulocoracoid, which is in the shoulder area (basically where the wing attaches).

post-6661-0-19023400-1429292582_thumb.jpg

Once in the prep lab I took extra care with the bones as they were some of the best quality I've ever seen. After some time, I also found out that the pteroid bone was present! This was exciting for me as this is a rather rare bone. I'll show a diagram here in bit.

post-6661-0-89701700-1429292775_thumb.jpg

Very cool. Definitely not something you see everyday. I'm doing the landowner dance myself right now... Congrats!

If you show them a transitional, they'll ask for two more. ;)

During the prep, I made the decision to remove the scapulocoracoid:

post-6661-0-59868000-1429293002_thumb.jpg

Those fragments to the left are those that had fallen down hill and the pieces in weak surface chalk.

Here is the final product of hours of prep and preservation:

post-6661-0-29003700-1429293125_thumb.jpg

-KansasFossilHunter (Kris)

I always enjoy seeing your finds. The preservation is stunning, well done!

Excellent, rare find and terrific prep. As always, well done!!

Well done on securing the new site. Your skill in spotting bits of rare bone is just getting better. ;) Thanks for the images and report.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Definitely taking amateur paleontology to a new level. Congratulations Kris.

Edited by Jeffrey P

Ckalk On, Kris!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Excellent find, and prep,Kris!

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's purty dang neat. Thanks

RB

Those are really super finds and excellent prep. Congrats!.

Flying critters of all kinds are fascinating. Back in Sept Dr. Brian Andres talked about pterosaurs of all kinds at the Tampa Bay Fossil club mtg and it was wild to hear about the variety....

Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris