Fossil Egg?

LMJK143

• New Members

I am sorry if this is being posted in the wrong forum, but I came across this web-site when I was researching a rock my daughter found in New Hampshire. Please see the attached photos for anyone's opinion regarding what it is. As you can see, it is about 1.5 inches long and is "egg-shaped". Thank you!

post-19171-0-75767700-1437923367_thumb.jpg

post-19171-0-17684300-1437923374_thumb.jpg

Ive seen similar rocks before, I believe they're called concretions (not 100% sure however). Also, I've never heard of any rocks of the proper age to have large fossil eggs in them in New Hampshire (the "granite state" would suggest much older rocks ;)

Here's a similar post along with some great responses:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/50777-hello-from-dover-new-hampshire/

Edited by MarcusFossils

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

Concretion, for sure.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think this could actually be the result of hydration. Not like health fanatics counting the liters/hour, but the incorporation of water molecules into the crystalline structure of the rock. It increases the volume enough to create a stress between the rock and the surface layer. Sometimes it gets broken off. I have a couple that look a bit like potato skins.

Here are the things I have. The idea is something I got from an old library book which came to mind when I found them so feel free to correct me if I'm the one who's all wet.

post-7417-0-71082800-1437928583_thumb.jpg

Hydration and subsequent freeze/thaw can definitely deconstruct concretions, but the concentric structure is prerequisite. It is in how they form, by he accretion of layers, that allows them to exfoliate.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree about concretion.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I Have so many concretions that I thought were eggs before I joined the forum. Nature can be deceptive...all you have to do is type egg in the search and you will see.

I seriously can't stand it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus.