Brazos River

MSirmon

These look like crinoid stems, to me.

Any chance of end views of both pieces, both sides?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Correct me if I am wrong....

The crinoid material in N.Texas is primarily in the Pennsylvanian deposits.....

The Glen Rose area is Cretaceous Lower.

The closest that any Penn stuff is in Parker Co. farther north of the Sommerville Co area.

I agree that these appear to be crinoid but question their comming out anywhere near Glen Rose.

I was raised near there and can tell you that there should be no crinoid material around there.

That would be comparable to trilobites being found there.

You sure you got the location info correct?

Maybe Mineral Wells (N. Tex)? Or farther south (central Tex) near Llano?

Jess B.

• I found this Informative 3

...That would be comparable to trilobites being found there...

Well, not exactly comparable, Jess; trilobites had been extinct for 200 million years, but crinoids are still with us.

Still, they are not known in the Glen Rose area.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There is a good possibility of that Jess. On that trip we spent time in the areas surrounding Glen Rose, Walnut Springs, Weatherford, McKinney, and Princeton. I need to do a better job of marking exact location if and when I find something in the future.

There is a good possibility of that Jess. On that trip we spent time in the areas surrounding Glen Rose, Walnut Springs, Weatherford, McKinney, and Princeton. I need to do a better job of marking exact location if and when I find something in the future.

None of those areas have Pennsylvanian deposits where one would expect to see crinoids. They are not far enough away to eliminate re-deposition by the river. But, they do not appear to have the expected wear from that process. This leaves us with three possibilities.

1. They are examples of previously unknown cretaceous crinoids from the area.

2. They were deposited there by a human who picked them up somewhere else.

3. They were part of a larger chunk of rock that was moved by the river and then eroded where you found them.

Were they found loose in float or were they removed from their matrix? If removed from the matrix, was that piece in situ or float? This info is important to determine the probable cause of their discovery in areas containing cretaceous rocks. Options 2 and 3 would need to be eliminated before option 1 can be considered. If the specimens were removed from the rock in situ, we would have sufficient info to at least consider the possibility of an Early Cretaceous crinoid from north central Texas.

• I found this Informative 1

Stop the presses:

"Solution channels in two caves in the Lower Cretaceous Glen Rose Limestone near Boerne, Texas have yielded about 50 well preserved comatulids...."

Glen Rose Formation - Comatulid Crinoids from the Lower Cretaceous of Texas.pdf

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Stop the presses:

"Solution channels in two caves in the Lower Cretaceous Glen Rose Limestone near Boerne, Texas have yielded about 50 well preserved comatulids...."

attachicon.gifGlen Rose Formation - Comatulid Crinoids from the Lower Cretaceous of Texas.pdf

This is a great paper. However, 'these are not the crinoids you're looking for.' :P

Kris and Jess are on the right track. Crinoid stems like this are likely from another area between the destination towns and Midland, TX. If I had to guess, I'd say they were from the Bridgeport, TX area.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Maybe the caves were a conduit for the transportation of the crinoids from Pennsylvanian formations to the south and west. ;)

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The Brazos does flow out from the Pennsylvanian areas of Texas. I think the subject header is the key not Glen Rose. And they are only somewhat close to each other.

I think that's what we are searching for : a crinoid with the column formed of nodal (those with the cirri scars) and internodal columnals (3 between the nodals,in our case), with the columnal crenulae extending up to the pentagonal lumen (without the areola), as far as I can see in the previous pictures. post-17588-0-45807700-1453664394_thumb.jpg
Similar columnals were found in Palo Pinto co.,Texas, but I don't know if there were cirri bearing columnals or just simple. post-17588-0-41590000-1453664437_thumb.jpg
In my thought, It is hard or even impossible to determine the species of a crinoid only just from the stem without having a calyx.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library