Subhyracodon prep advice

Fossil Claw

I picked up this 14 inch jaw section at a good price since it was cleaned some but not really prepped or restored. I wanted to try doing some prep on it but I have never prepped anything like this before.

My plan:

• Clean off remaining matrix with a tooth brush, needlepoint scriber and/or airscribe
  • Use vinac as a consoldant in, then clean off the outside with acetone to remove unwanted vinac
  • Crack fill with paleo poxy and likely leave it brown rather than paint it so you can see where the cracks were filled

Does this sound like a good plan? Any thing I should do different?

post-16815-0-55865700-1453895235_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-79954800-1453895236_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-37769200-1453895237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossil Claw

That's a great project and your stated approach seems prudent. If it was mine; I would remove the matrix using a carbide needle ground to a flat tip and mounted in a pin vise. I can't tell from the photos how severe the cracks in the teeth are, but caution there may be advised. I would leave the matrix in the large fissures, just smoothing it even with the surface. I would not fill any cracks, beyond the already present natural matrix fill. Evaluate for stability to judge need for consolidant. Have fun, I think it will be a enjoyable undertaking with a wonderful end result.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Current status of the project. I probably have another couple hours of scribe and wire brush work. I will get back to it after the Super Bowl.

I am thinking I won't need to crack fill. I did have to wick super glue into the teeth so they didn't fall apart when air scribing.

I probably have 80% of the matrix off now and the teeth are much better expose. Still a good bit of matrix on the left side of the medial side of the mandible. I'd want to remove a bit more around the teeth.

Pretty happy with it so far for my first time working on a white river jaw.

post-16815-0-45125900-1454213245_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-53063300-1454213246_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossil Claw

Good work! The few White River jaws I have are in such great shape they don't need any consolidant. :)

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Great prep!

Thanks. I am happy with it for my first white river prep!

Before and after .

post-16815-0-38458600-1454983524_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossil Claw